Smoking in restaurants in Istanbul?

Sep 16th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Smoking in restaurants in Istanbul?

I was just reading an article about Istanbul in a National Grographic Traveler issue from 2010 and it says that they had recently banned smoking in coffeehouses and restaurants, and that proprietors were protesting loudly. Just wondering if the smoking ban had survived the protests. And is this just in Istanbul, or also in other areas of Turkey?

For the record, if I never encounter another smoker, it will be too soon. But this is just idle curiousity.
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

After reading what I said I realize that I didn't mean what I said. Many people smoke, and I count some of them as my friends. However, I once saw a smoker put out her after dinner cigarette in her left over mashed potatoes, and that put me off smoking in restaurants ...
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Doesn't say a lot about how good the mash potato was.
Sep 17th, 2012, 07:15 AM

There is a ban on smoking everywhere in-doors.

Open air seating locations do not always ban smoking.

It is all accepted and followed properly.
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:06 AM

For me, all the new bans on smoking in restaurants in Europe mean that is harder to enjoy eating outdoors in nice weather, because all the smokers go there.

I don't think you have to apologize for saying if you never see another person smoking again, you'll be happier. It makes me said to my friends smoke, even though I know I hard it is to stop. I used to smoke, but I got sick, so that was the hard way to learn to stop, but I did. Now when someone lights a cigarette next to me at an outdoor cafe, it really bothers my sinuses. Just the other day, a man lit up a pipe, and I got a headache. It was too bad, because I had found a seat in a pretty place before he sat down.
Sep 17th, 2012, 09:05 PM

Mmm, interesting so if you can't smoke indoors where do the Turks smoke their Hookah pipes now?