Reload this Page >

No smoking or outdoor dining in Istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:23 AM
clo

I would really appreciate advice on smoke-free venues in Turkey. Going there during summer, I expect I'll be able to dine alfresco and avoid the issue. However, I hope there are some restaurants with no smoking section in Istanbul. Ever heard of any worth trying? Many thanks in advance.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Jerry

Ever hear of Turkish tobacco? Smoking is everywhere in Europe. Turkey was surprisingly not that bad. Turkey is a wonderful country but smoking & disabilities do not seem to concern them. What we did was ask the greeter, usually the manager/owner for a non smoking area. Altho they do not officially exist they will try very hard to accomidate you. At lunch the men usually sit playing blackgammon with their cigarette & apple tea. We actually had more problems in Greece & France. You will enjoy yourselves

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 06:49 PM
john

<BR>Clo,<BR><BR>Windows are open and balconies are available so I can enjoy my cigar after dinner, and you can have your fresh air. <BR><BR>When dining in Istanbul, and Athens, don't accept anything that you didn't order. <BR><BR>john

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Former Smoker

clo,<BR><BR>People smoke in Europe....LOTS of people. Some places more than others. It is their country and they can do what they want.<BR><BR>If you think you are going to be bothered, don't go. If you are going to cough and wave your hand in front of your face, don't go. If you are unwilling to accept the fact that other countries do things differently than the United States (many of them MUCH better), don't go.<BR><BR>Former Smoker<BR><BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Dallas

Whew, Former Smoker -- you need to loosen up a little. Sounds like you've got your underwear in a bunch. No need to mow Clo down just because he/she wishes to avoid smoke, if possible.<BR><BR>However, Clo, if you've been checking out this forum very much, you have to know that what Jerry says is true; if you go to Europe, you will be exposed to smoking. Be prepared.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 08:18 AM
mark

Globetrekkers just did a piece on Istanbul - really great. Check their website for the tv station in your area. A couple indoor restaurant scenes showed people smoking but not thick as fog. There looks to be plenty of outdoor eating along the Bosphorous.<BR><BR>http://www.globetrekkertv.co.uk/

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Former Smoker

Dallas,<BR><BR>My shorts are not in a bunch. We see this type of post regularly on this forum. I happen to think it is dumb and very closed mind type of thing.<BR><BR> People have to understand at least two things when going to Europe: You are a guest in their country. Behave accordingly or skip it! Many Europeans already think that Americans "know everything". I found out in about one day we don't know squat! That is the fun of travel. It's an experience....enjoy it and go with the flow. If someone is smoking in front of you and it bothers you......MOVE. <BR><BR>Pretty simple. <BR><BR>Former Smoker

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:17 AM
janis

clo: If smoking is a BIG issue for you, you might want to re-think your trip. Turkey is one of the most smoker-friendly places on earth. There is a lot to see and do - but you will have a very difficult time avoiding smoke.<BR><BR>If that is unacceptable then you might enjoy yourself more somewhere else.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:17 AM
x

Former Smoker is right! I don't smoke either, but I am sick of Americans having fits because Europeans don't adhere to OUR rules.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 11:35 AM
xxx

Whether to smoke in situations where others can't avoid your smoke and are truly made to suffer physically because of it is an issue of 1. awareness that the activity you enjoy may genuinely make other people suffer, 2. respect for others, and 3. basic individual human kindness and consideration, or lack of it. This is so in the US, in France, in Greece, anywhere, and it was also so in the US long before laws were ever enacted to protect non-smokers. We did not begin to feel sick from smoke after laws to regualte smoking in public places were enacted. Some of us suffered from it long before, and there have been both kind people and inconsideerate people in the US both beofre the laws changed and after.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 02:36 PM
ridem

Learn to speak some Turkish.<BR><BR>Tell them you have a heart condition/asthma and that you have to be hospitalized frequently for your severe pulmonary condition due to your inability to breathe.<BR><BR>They will be so shocked at your effort to communicate in their language, in their country, that they will probably be too surprised and polite to say:<BR>"Siktir git!" or "Defol!"<BR><BR>Or use room service at your hotel.<BR>Or buy food locally and "picnic"<BR><BR>Or stay home .<BR><BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:05 PM
XXX

Don't know about Turkey, but I just came back from Paris and every restaurant we went to had a non-smoking section for dining. I was very surprised - and pleased. Thank you, Paris!

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 03:27 PM
xyz

Paris is NOT Turkey! You will not find non-smoking restaurants anywhere in Turkey.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:21 AM
clo

Dear Former Smoker, dear X, I would like to add that I am quite aware that people smoke in Europe. I am ITALIAN, born, raised, educated in Italy. I worked and travelled all over Europe. You should consider that there are some Europeans who can't stand smoke, and that this will change the rules in the future. In the meantime, I've been able to carry on an entire life IN EUROPE avoiding smoke. That's way I'm so concerned about smoke. It's not just a 10-day trip ro the Old Country: it's my life. I have an extensive list of European restaurants with no smoking seating, from Austria to Sweden, including Hungary. I was just wondering if anyone had done the same for Turkey, but it seems that you are to concerned with the nationality of smoke. By the way: I do suffer from asthma. I did spend my childhood in and out of hospitals. Thanks Dad for being a smoker - thanks Europe for being so "liberal". I will dine outside, by the Bosphorus and have a great time in Turkey. Many thanks to Jerry, John, Mark, Janis and all the ones who posted or will post a reasonable suggestion.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Ariel

Clo - I visit Turkey every year (in-laws live there). I too do not like smoking. In most places you can dine outside, esp. in the smaller towns - and I have never had a problem with smoking when seated outside. In addition, since you will be going in the summer and many places (less expensive resturants do not have AC, the windows will be open and you can request to sit beside the window ("pencere" pronounced like "penjera"). You can say "Otur pencere'de istiyorum, lutfen" - the grammar is not perfect (maybe murat or abc can fix it), but you are roughly saying "I want to sit beside the window please".<BR><BR>To smoke is "Sigara icme", the "c" is pronounced "ch". You can also say "Sigara icme istemiyorum, lutfen". (I don't want smoking, please).<BR><BR>Taksim is one area that is very lively and has a number of outdoor resturants, can get kind of loud, but an enjoyable summer evening.<BR><BR>I haven't the smoking to be as bad as I expected. The country and people are wonderful and very hospitable.<BR><BR>P.S. You can easily get a non-smoking bus.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:04 PM
murat

Guys generally you made me lough to read this bit of forum <BR><BR>Well, Turks smoke quite a lot yes. But there are restaurants where non smoking sections are available. Most hotel lobies have seperations...If you like ofcourse you can ask for at the beginning : for those who are interested ask :<BR><BR>sigara icilmeyen bir masa l&uuml;tfen... means I would like to have a non smoking table... if people are smoking and you still want to be there you can kindly ask. But please do not ask people not to smoke when you are seated open air. <BR>I am a smoker too, I care environment before lighting my cigarette but I remember a case; a couple rudely murmuring about my smoking made me really angry while we were on a large terrace and their table was at least 2 meters away !<BR><BR>My ex. wife also had asthma and at home I was banned to smoke, we could not go to bars or clubs... so I can understand the concerns. However do not forget we are a smoking country ;-)<BR><BR>and we all smoke american cigarettes <BR><BR>Just ask and also respect... for sure there will be a medium.<BR><BR>Enjoy Turkey, enjoy the fresh air...

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:55 AM
xxx

American cigarette companies doing very good marketing in Turkey !!!<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:53 AM
european

I would really appreciate advice on a smoke-free family.Everywhere I go American companies are trying to sell my children tobbacco.<BR><BR>Where can I avoid this?