Smoking in restaurants?

Search

Smoking in restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking in restaurants?

How do you deal with the large number of smokers in Europe, especially in restaurants where the tables are almost on top of each other? Have any restaurants started a "no smoking" policy in any country.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 03:48 AM
mj

lucky03,<BR>I let them do as they please. And if someplace is too smokey, I walk out/away.<BR><BR>Yes, there are restaurants with no smoking areas but, AFAIK, no European government mandates same yet.<BR>
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:59 AM

Most countries have SOME restaurants which operate a no-smoking section. By a good local restaurant guide for details. If you're lucky, you may even find some places that are entirely non-smoking.<BR><BR>For London, buy the Hardens Guide to London Restaurants, which lists all restaurants that have a non or restricted smoking policy.<BR><BR>But after all that, I tend not to really notice the smoking - it's not like everyone is chain smoking, and many people won't be smoking. They have to put their cigs out to eat, after all! Try and choose restaurants which are large and airy if it bothers you that much, or eat outside (a very pleasant alternative).
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 05:00 AM

You have to get used to it. I abhor smoke, but Europe is totally rude to non smokers. I've seen kids smoking around age 10 or younger in France and also here in England. Everyone smokes and everyone is rude about it. there is nothing you can do.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:51 AM

I don't think that's right re laws (by mj?). At least both France and Belgium have laws regarding nonsmoking areas of restaurants, I believe. I don't know about others, but there are usually plenty of areas where smoke is no problem and restaurants are generally ventillated well -- if they are outdoors, that's ventilated. <BR><BR>Many people are quite considerate in restaurants, although certainly some may be rude as with any other issue, I have not had any rude experiences as noted above. I don't like to eat in places with tables on top of each other anyway, that is true. <BR><BR>If you are so concerned, you can easily find nonsmoking restaurants in various guides on the web such as nonsmokingworld. McDonalds is always smoke-free, I think, you can go there.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:01 AM

many small restaurants have problems supplying a non smoking area. we have found them most sympathetic to my wife's tobacco allergy and they try to manuver us around their clients whom they know smoke. it helps to arrive early in the dinner hour when this flexibility is possible.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:08 AM

As a non-smoker, please remember it is THEIR country and you are a guest. If they want to smoke, there is nothing &quot;rude&quot; about it. It is just the way things are. If it is going to bother you, maybe you would be better off staying home.<BR><BR>You have to remember, other people have rights as well. In their country, they have the rights.<BR><BR>Curious
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:07 PM
mj

Christina,<BR>You're right about the laws. After I wrote this AM - prior to the 2nd cup of coffee, I surfed a bit and found that several countries on the continent have no-smoking laws. Problem is they're ignored, i.e. France passed laws 10 years ago; not one violation has been issued in that time.<BR><BR>Interestingly, my wife's sister and her husband own an Inn/Restaurant in France and I can't recall smoking being an issue in their place - it's allowed in the bar, not in the dining rooms. Probably has something to do w/my SIL's iron hand in running the place - she's a non-smoker...and American
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:40 PM

If there are clouds of smoke when I walk in, I walk out. If the wait-individual tries to seat me next to someone who is smoking, I ask politely of there's another table available. If after I am seated, someone near me starts smoking, I punch him / her in the nose for being so rude . . . no, wait a minute, I deal with it.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Brutforce

It is something that you just have to deal with. We always seek out places w/outside dining. Mostly because the people watching is better. Even in inclimate weather many restaurants have heaters &amp; awnings.

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:28 PM

Quite often in the UK restaurants have a non smoking area.People are gradually making 'big noises' against smoking in public, however although it is not illegal to smoke in public it is becoming a more taboo subject.<BR>I remember once being in a packed restaurant where smokers were sat in the non smoking area, the smoke was really annoying me and spoiling my lunch, but the person was unwilling to stop smoking despite the no smoking sign being pointed out to her...how rude I thought.<BR>So as we left I equally as rudely stood next to her and farted loudly, that spoit her lunch too !!<BR><BR>Muck
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 01:43 PM

My husband and I live in Los Angeles and we get REALLY spoiled as far as no smoke goes.. plus I am a &quot;former&quot; smoker THE WORST kind... however, when in Europe.. I just deal with it. You just do.. I am a guest.. it's their country.. After the first day or two I dont' really notice it...
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:23 PM

Kate, you wrote &quot;They have to put their cigs out to eat, after all!&quot; Unfortunately, not always true. I have watched people eating the most delicious food (in Italy) and smoking cigarettes in between courses. Ugh. <BR><BR>I wouldn't say anything or make a fuss because I am a visitor in another country, but I will be very pleased when Europe &quot;catches up&quot; on designated non-smoking sections of all restaurants. IMO it's just a matter of time.<BR><BR>Mucky, did you REALLY? That's hysterical, but I would never have the nerve.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 11:22 PM

Curious - I would have to agree with you. I'm an ex-smoker and it bothers me more now than it did before I smoked, but I see it as a tiny and insignificant consession to make for having the opportunity to visit their country.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 01:13 AM

Hi Marylin,<BR>I am pleased to say &quot;It was me&quot; lol<BR>I am sure she deserved it.<BR>Try it sometime it will make you feel a whole lot better both physically and morally.....lol<BR>Muck
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 01:44 AM

OTOH, you might find places where people don't smoke much. We spent two weeks in Angers, France, and were astonished to see how few people smoked. We had dinner one night at La Ferme, a popular restaurant that was completely filled, and something struck us as odd...it took us a few minutes to realize that NO ONE was smoking! This was not a no-smoking restaurant. Eventually one couple lit up cigarettes after dessert, but that was it. In most of the cafes and restaurants in Angers, smokers were the clear minority. Oh, and they cleaned up after their dogs, too!! LOL, must be something in the water.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 05:33 AM

Thyra,<BR><BR>&quot; Message: My husband and I live in Los Angeles and we get REALLY spoiled as far as no smoke goes&quot;<BR><BR>How do you deal with the smog?<BR><BR>Curious
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 06:07 AM

frankly, part of the vaction value of a trip to europe is the &quot;breather&quot; from the compassion fascism regarding smoking in the US.<BR><BR>while i strongly approve of segregating smokers into a specially ventilated area, i think we have micro-legislated smoking laws to a point of absurdity.<BR><BR>i find it no more rude for someone to exercise one's perrogative to smoke in any permitted area than for my son to request that i not smoke in his home.<BR><BR>when in europe, we normally dine late and long. if cigars are offered at the restaurant and i see other patrons indulging, i light up and enjoy my brandy. if not, i will go to a cafe where i know smoking is acceptable.<BR><BR>however, if in a crowded situation, wherein there is no possibility of relocation on the part of another individual requesting that i not smoke, i'll generally forego cigarettes or cigars.<BR><BR>it's more a matter of good manners.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 08:48 AM
lynlor

I know it common for many people on this forum to refer to us (tourists) as guests in other countries, but the truth is that we are really &quot;paying Customers&quot;. We shouldn't be subservient..... just polite and kind.... the same way we should behave at home. We should expect the same from those who are providing product and services in exchange for our money. <BR><BR>This guest concept is totally inaccurate.

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Hal

Quite amazing all those who infer in various ways that smoking is really no big deal, and that nonsmokers should just 'learn to live with it.'<BR><BR>Even some who noted that smoke bothered them, said after awhile they did not notice it.<BR><BR>You can be assured that a part of your body did notice it, even if you were not consciously aware.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -