small town charm in southern Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a possible day or two to stay in a small, charming village in southern Italy (already will have been in Naples).

Any recommendations that will help me to decide?

Thanks in advance!
Patricia
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:01 PM
ira

You might want to consider Praiano, 6km E of Positano.

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Le Sirene. www.lesirene.com
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM

My thought was pretty much the Coast also...Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, Praino...
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying!

ira,
it looks enchanting!

Lorac,
The suggestions are good, but I may already be staying close by here. Is there anything further south, a little more exotic?

Thanks so much! I love your suggestions, and think one of my holidays will be spent just in this area, but I can't do it this time.

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Patricia, what is your problem?

This is at least the fourth or fifth post I see in which you ask for suggestions and turn them down out of hand.

If you are already in Naples, the Amalfi Coast is the obvious answer to your question.

What do you not like about the reply? Not exotic enough? Well, I'm sorry, but a day or two is not enough to get you to Calabria or Puglia or Sicily for something more "exotic."

If you already know better than the people who have been travelling to Italy for years, why are you bothering them for advice that you will not take?
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Eloise,

Forgive me if I don't take (being polite) advice from someone who has offhandedly attacked me.

I don't feel I was being impolite. I appreciated both of the responses I got. I even stated that I would love to do a trip of just the Amalfi Coast area ...but for this time, I have already planned that segment of my trip. I was only trying to see if either had any knowledge of more southern towns, or something with more exotic scenery (not that this area is not exotic)....

I think you should be careful not to misread people's intentions...because you can really offend someone w/o meaning to that way.

Thanks again!
Patricia
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Maratea--or better yet, Taormina.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:14 AM
ira

Hi again,

You could do an overnight visit to Paestum and visit the Greek ruins.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Bob and ira, you both took the words out of my mouth.

Paestum is great for a day trip and depending on the time of year, that area is where many southern Italians take their beach holidays. The tiny towns are dotted with beach resorts.

Maratea is the town with the enormous statue on top of the mountain called the "Redeemer."

Or Calabria or Sicily or Mt. Vesuvius or Ercolano or Puglia or the Isles of Ischia or Capri.

The rest of my repertoire consists of the small towns our families emigrated from....
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! These all sound really interesting (and to note, all exotic in their own ways)!

I am going to look into Taormina, Paestum, Puglia or Sicily (will see Capri...views look like they are the origin of the path to the gods)

Lorac, would love to hear about Calabria or Sicily or any other small towns you are familiar with.

Ira, Lorac, or Bob... know if one can overnight near Paestum or Pompeii..it would give me more time to get to Capri and possibly one of the above locations?

grazie!
(I will be going to the home of my ancestors in less than a week for the first time. Feel a great pull already. Greatful for any help you can offer).
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Next month after Sardinia I am flying into the Naples airport, and on my way to 2 nights in Maratea I am going to stop off and tour Paestum for a few hours.

In Calabria Tropea sounds worthwhile (I hope to check it out as a daytrip next month), and can personally vouch for several hilltowns in the southeast part of Calabria- Stilo & Gerace.