slow ferry Crete to Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get from Crete to Santorini in October. The only ferry I seem to see is the flying cat. I have heard so many nausea stories about the high speed ferry that I would like to avoid it. Is there a regular ferry that time of year? If so, I can't seem to find it. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Sorry, I can't help with the ferries. Have you considered flying? We flew Aegean from Crete thru Athens to Santorini -- nice flight, no nausea.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM

No worries! We took the Flying Cat high speed ferry on this same itinerary 2 years ago. Smooth as silk! Regular ferries have more wake turbulance than the hydrofoils, which ride out of the water. Take a dramamine 30 minutes before you leave and enjoy the ride. Also, the Flying Cats are twice as fast!
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:57 AM

If "Scott1107" had a smooth trip, that would have been because the sea was calm that day. The weather in October can be very changeable.
Fast craft are smaller and lighter than slower ships. Hence, fast craft will suffer more movement in bad weather and are more likely to be cancelled.
There is also the fact that fast craft have a high fuel consumption and high running costs, so are most likely to be cancelled if traffic is light and fuel costs increase.
In October in Greece, the tourist season is drawing to a close. Timetables for ferries are very unpredictable as ships finish their summer services and, if trade is slack, sailings are cancelled. On the other hand, finding accommodation is easy, with no need to book in advance.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 04:14 AM

Is there really no longer an ordinary boat?

I've done a bit of a hunt too and the only departures I've found are for a fast cat. Wasn't the way I did it and I hope it's still possible to avoid closed in transport. There is nothing better than sitting on deck sailing over the Aegean (assuming the weather is good) and if it isn't - well at least you get to experience a mode of transport that is fast becoming obsolete.

So - even though I may not re-visit the Greek Islands for a very long time, I hope you find something emiller.

Old Jul 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM

The problem is that nobody can be sure what ships might be running in October.
Ships are certainly not a means of transport that is becoming obsolete. The fuel consumption of fast ferries is measured in tons per hour, so the owners are tearing their hair out trying to avoid bankruptcy. You are more likely to find a ship still around in October than a fast craft.
Old Jul 31st, 2008, 08:14 AM

Unpredictable ferry scheduling is what finally made us choose flying over sailing.