Search

Slovenia base

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slovenia base

We have about 7 days to spend in Slovenia in October. Does it make sense to have one city base and do day trips so as not to change hotels? We would like to visit Lake Bled, Vrsic pass, Soca Valley, Bohinj, and Triglav Park. If so, would Ljubljana be a logical choice of base?
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Oh, should have mentioned we will have a rented car
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 03:43 PM

With your wishlist of destinations and having a car, I would base yourselves somewhere closer to the alps or, more likely, choose two stays in that area. Perhaps something like one of the small towns near lake Bohinj and one of the towns in the Soca Valley. Ljubljana is an attractive small city and a great transport hub but you don't list it as a place of special interest for you - and it is at least an hour's drive from most of the places you've nominated.
Old Jul 20th, 2023, 08:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We based in Bled and covered most of what you intend to from there.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou, dreamon. We agree to staying in the 2 places as you suggested….perhaps Bohinj and PIran would work for us.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ANUJ…where did you stay in Bled? We think we will go with 2 base towns, one of which is Piran. I have noticed that Bled is a bit more expensive than Bohinj
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 08:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
We stayed at the extraordinary Penzion Mayer in Bled.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 09:40 PM

Gypsy8, that sounds good. Piran is not close to the Soca Valley but is lovely. Bohinj Bistrica (the main town) is not on the lake but would still make a good base. Lake Bled is normally much busier than Lake Bohinj but I've never visited in October.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 01:46 PM

You have to do Bohinj, Bled, Kranjska Gora, Postojna cave, Piran, Izola and Ljubljana...3-4 days trip to see everything...I'd also advise you to do activities in nature such as canyoning Bled or raftin in the Soca Valley.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 05:53 PM

We ate at ANUJ's Mayer Penzion (www.mayer-sp.si). Our trip journal from that meal included: 'freshest thyme ever'.
Btw, something funny below.
We once stepped out of the rain at the LakeBled library in Slovenia. It was a brand-new, modern branch that'd would've impressed anyone. All shiny, hi-tech and spotless. While searching for travel mags in the stacks there, I chanced across an unexpected title, one located maybe 10 yards from the Childrens section----Playboy! They had about 2 years worth of back copies stored there.

I am done. The pages.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 02:18 AM

Pirano - the city of Tartini - is a very nice "Venetian" town, although all but close to the places you mentioned in your first post.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelSloan
You have to do Bohinj, Bled, Kranjska Gora, Postojna cave, Piran, Izola and Ljubljana...3-4 days trip to see everything...I'd also advise you to do activities in nature such as canyoning Bled or raftin in the Soca Valley.
Thankyou…we are planning to do all that you have suggested as well as Vinta Gorge, Predjama Castle in conjunction with Postojna and Skocjan caves. I had not heard of Izola so will do some research on that! DH is an avid cyclist and plans to cycle Vrsic Pass (after we both drive it). We are paragliding in Montenegro, but will get many nature treks in Slovenia as well!
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Zebec….that IS funny to find Playboy in the library! I wouldn’t think our Canadian libraries carry it, ha ha
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Piran looks beautiful in any photos I can find! We do not mind driving a bit to get to different destinations. Coming from a large country, Canada, we have to drive hours to get between places!
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 11:34 AM

Postojna and Skocian (San Canziano) are similar, but the latter is nicer.
If you really want to see EVERYTHING, you could add the stud of Lipica and the WW1 battlefields in the Soca (Isonzo) Valley.
.....or cross the border to Trieste (Trst) with the fairy tale castle Miramare of the unhappy Maximilian of Habsburg, later king of Mexico, murdered by the Mexican patriot Juarez....
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Neckervd…. Thanks for the extra destinations! Trieste is a consideration, if time permits