Sleeping on the Moors-Secret Garden

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:34 PM
rus

Sleeping on the Moors-Secret Garden

Can anyone suggest a place to stay on the English Moors to get a feel for the Yorkshire Moors of the FHB book The Secret Garden? Thanks.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Linda

The moors themselves have very few places to stay. I recommend you consider staying in Whitby on the east cost of England. There are some decent hotels there and lots of B&Bs. (I stayed at a wonderful, really old hotel there, right in city center; wish I could remember the name of it. If I do, I'll come back and top this message.) The moors are only about a 15 minute drive west/southwest. Many people stay in Whitby just to hike the moors. It's also close to Scarborough and not that far from the Scottish border and you can even take in Hadrian's Wall in a day trip. And York is certainly "do-able" in a day. Whitby itself, though a bit touristy, has wonderful abbey ruins and, as the place where Capt. Cook sailed from, there is a Capt Cook's museum. (I haven't seen it though, so can't recommend/non-recommend it.) Also, Bram Stoker's Dracula is "from" Whitby. This is one of my favorite areas of England, one of my favorite countries. Hope you enjoy the Moors.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:04 PM
Rus

Thanks, Linda

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 11:13 PM
meg

What about Harrogate? An elegant spa town with plenty of accommodation in all price ranges- York within easy reach, the moors all around and the Tourist Information should be able to tell you how to get to the actual house where the film of The Secret Garden was made (just can't recall the name of it)
Also in Harrogate is the famous "Betty's Teashop" for sublime cream tea (scones with jam and clotted cream)

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 01:57 AM
sylvia

I'd go for the Whitby area too. We have stayed in a place nearby called Sandsend. It's quite quiet and is a good place to find fossils. Whitby is also famous for its jet.
Have a look at Stillwells at http://www.stilwell.co.uk/
It lists cottages and B & Bs. You should be able to find something in either the Whitby or Harrogate areas.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 02:49 PM
Lauren

Pickering is really in the heart of the Moors. A bunch of roads converge there and you could do easy day trips to York, Scarborough and Whitby. I can't recommend any B&B's or hotels though. When I did the trip I home exchanged in Scarborough. If you have the time, see something at the Stephen Joseph Theatre there. It is first rate!

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Linda

Rus, I remembered the name of the hotel in Whitby; it is Bagdale Hall, address: 1, Bagdale, Whitby, England. Can't find a web site for it, nor can I find the phone number, but if you do some research I'm sure you can find it. I highly recommend this small hotel. Not many rooms, tho they do have a modern annex for families. The hotel is (I believe) 16th century. Most, if not all, rooms have fireplaces. My room, second floor (that's American's second floor), had a big four-poster, canopied bed, couch, two chairs, window seats, with mullioned windows, and a pretty modern bath. The room was huge, and furnished entirely with antiques. The management is friendly. And the restaurant, though pricey, is excellent. I've stayed there twice and loved it both times.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Jenny

If you're going to Whitby you could take a 15 minute detour to Robin Hood's Bay. It's beautiful.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 10:55 PM
rus

Thanks to all who responded, I will keep checking to see if anyone else has input. I have always loved books' descriptions of the sounds , winds and weather on the moors. I long to experience it first hand , so will definitely put all this info to use.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 01:10 AM
Steve James

Hello Rus,

How about a couple of days in Haworth, too, - for the real 'Wuthering Heights' feel?

Steve

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 08:58 PM
Joan

I can second Haworth. We stayed at the Apothecary Guest House-right across from the paesonage where the Bronte sisters lived. Behind the parsonage, we walked for several hours on the moors. We loved Haworth.