Sleeping in (or near) Salisbury

Old Jun 9th, 2017, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Sleeping in (or near) Salisbury

Our driving trip at the end of September will take us to Salisbury for two nights. Can anyone recommend a favorite place to stay near there, if not in the town? I think we'll forgo the rooms in charming historical pubs due to possible comfort and noise issues. Beyond that, any favorite spots are welcome.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 09:02 PM

You don't mention your budget, but check out this place www.cathedral-viewbandb.co.uk
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 09:19 PM

This is an excerpt from my TR about a B&B we enjoyed in Salisbury. It seems to focus on the breakfast, but will give you an idea of the place, at least how it was 7 years ago when we were there. I do not recall the cost but know it was not expensive and well worth the price at the time.

In Salisbury, we had reservations at Webster's B&B. The address was programmed into our Garmin and it was about a 10 minute walk from the station. Our host John met us at the door and showed us to our thankfully ground floor room. It was nice, not fancy, but nice. The breakfast routine there is that you are given a card with lots of options for the next morning and you check off what you would like. Kippers!! They had Kippers!! I have never met a kipper I didn't like, so I checked off porridge, kippers and eggs. Our host asked if I really wanted the eggs. Why? I asked. He replied that it was an awful lot to eat, but If that was what I wanted, he would make it. That puzzled me because the kippers I know at home come in a can and are not large. He explained that his are fresh and one kipper covers an entire dinner plate. I canceled the eggs. The next morning I had my first fresh kipper and it was delicious.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 09:55 PM

I've stayed at the Cathedral View which Janis suggested and can also recommend it. FYI, it is quiet and an excellent location,
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 04:46 AM

Kippers in a can? Really? Never heard of that one. It's a very old fashioned British breakfast time dish, not seen much these days. I had smoked kippers for brekkie in a nice Newcastle hotel recently (nearby Craster is famous for its kippers) and it was served as I expected, a whole fish split in two on a large plate. Stays with you all day though!