Reload this Page >

Sleeper train between Paris and Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Francis

Has anyone on this board heard of, or had any experience travelling this way? Would a plane be the better choice?

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Bob Brown

Hi Francis. I have never made the trip from Paris to Rome myself, but here is what I know about it. <BR>There are indeed sleeper trains as well as day time trains. It is. however. a long trip time wise any time you go. The quickest journey takes 12:26 and the train leaves Gare de Lyon at 8:04 for Milan Central where you have a wait of an hour before continuing. <BR>The best bet on a night trip appears to me to be the train that leaves Paris-Bercy at 19:09. It gets to Rome at 10:00 the next morning, almost 15 hours later. <BR>That particular connection has no changes of train enroute. (Some connections have 2 changes.) <BR>I do not know about flying. <BR>But given the length of the trip, I think it worth investigating. <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Ben Haines

As Mr Brown says, there's a useful through overnight train, the Palatino, from the Gare de Bercy at 1909 to Rome Termini at 0957. It has a restaurant car, and:- <BR>1 and 2 berth sleepers with their own shower, washbasin and toilet <BR>1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers with washbasins, toilet down the corridor, and no shower <BR>4 and 6 berth couchette compartments with washbasins and toilets down the corridor, and no showers <BR> <BR>Given that from hotel to hotel the flight takes three hours, the night train is about the time of a flight and a hotel night. I can send you a note I have on disc on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes in Europe if you ask me. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Thyra

Though we have never taken an overnight train on the exact route you mention. My husband and I have taken sleepers many times and love it. <BR>We always shell out for a first class sleeping cabin and genuinely enjoy travelling that way. <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Seamus

Francis- <BR>Yes, I have taken the overnight sleeper train Paris to Rome, and it was fine, efficient way to go. As to potential cost savings, that depends on how much airfare and hotel would be for the night. There is a charge for the private two person sleeper compartment; not outlandish but more than a few dollars, but worth it for the privacy. If you want the accommodation with shower, be aware that an additional premium charge applies, and it is a very minimalist shower at best. <BR>Overall, we found it to be a very delightful way to make the journey, and would recommend it.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Myer

I've gone in the other direction. However, you have 2 good choices. <BR>1) <BR>Paris-Bercy - Rome. Sleeper train. #213. No changes required. <BR>2) Paris-Lyon if it is more convenient. Change at Dijon at reasonable time 20:51 to the same train as above. #213. <BR>Arrives in Rome at 9:57. Good time to arrive. <BR>

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:13 PM
aimee

I have taken the overnight train from Paris to Rome. I would suggest a sleeper and not a couchette. I had the unfortunate pleasure of a very loud snorer in our couchette, and thus, I couldn't sleep a wink that night. From the other posts I've read, a sleeper is the way to go. Don't know about a plane w/in Europe - I've never taken one on such a trip. Best of luck!

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Mel

We took the overnight train from Paris to Rome a few years ago. Left Paris around 6:00 pm, I believe, and arrived in Rome at 9:00 am. The sleeper had no shower (it was down the hall), but did have a little corner sink. The car was very tiny, of course, but the berths were comfortable and I love the rocking of the train for sleeping. Don't remember the cost on this one, but I do advise getting the private couchette. We had friends who "thought" they had bought tickets for the private one, but ended up in a "six" (three bunks on each side of the room) and were with strangers. <BR> <BR>I like night trains because you have to pay the cost to sleep somewhere--save a hotel and travel at night. One final note: Don't be surprised if they take your passport when you board. They keep it overnight and return it in the morning before you pull into Rome. Also, the TGV we were on that trip had no dining car, (which we were warned about), so we took wonderful sandwiches and pastries on board with us. In the morning you could get coffee and a roll on the train.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Myer

Forgot. The train leaves Paris-Bercy at 19:09 or Paris-Lyon at 19:14. <BR> <BR>Sorry.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:48 PM
YS

For those of you who's taken the trail recently, can you provide more info on gare Bercy? Is it close to the Bercy metro stop? Is it a "normal full-service" station with ticket booths and everything or just a platform? <BR>