Skye in winter?

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Sherry

Skye in winter?

My husband and I are going to be in Scotland the last week of December. We had planned on doing one night in the Inverness area. However, several people on here said skip it, so we are thinking about that. We thought about Skye instead, BUT, were wondering if it is going to be awful weather (more awful than the rest of the weather in Scotland, or just the same)? Is Skye even visitor-friendly this time of year?

Thanks for any guidance.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:07 PM
t

t

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 10:19 PM
xxx

Skye in winter
And Skye at night
Can be beautiful
Or a fright

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Sheila

It will be warmer (gulf stream) and less snowy than the east coast.

Last New Year we stayed on te mainland about 20 miles south of the Skye Bridge and crossed over a couple of times. It was stunning in the snow.

Hotels (at least some of them) will be functional, people will be friendly, but nothing will be open on the 1st and 2nd. Walk, drink malt whisky and sit in front of the fire. Have a lovely time. Will you be near Aberdeen?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Christy Nicholas

If you do go to Skye, and stay near Broadford, there is a WONDERFUL little B&B called Tir Alainn (there is a website). The host is charming!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Diane

I was in Scotland Christmas 1999 and for Hogmanay. We drove up to the Highlands to the south end of Loch Ness so I can't comment on Skye specifically.

What I can comment on though is having been in Scotland in all seasons I would have to pick winter to be the most stunning as far as the scenery goes. Snow on the mountain tops, brilliant green grass in the lowlands, bronze in between and it was very easy to spot the deer grazing.

Have a great trip. Even if you don't get to Skye, make sure you get in the Highlands.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:18 PM
muumi

I have dear friends on Skye (and they tell me the weather is pretty fearsome right now (their croft house is not well insulated or weatherstripped yet so take that for what it is worth): windy, wet, cold, but not snowy. A trip for the adventuresome definitely. Bring good warm boots!