COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Skiing. Has anyone been to Chamonix, Courcheval, or Zermatt

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:31 AM
LL

My wife and I are planning a trip after we stay in Paris for a week. Will have about 8 days to maybe ski. All of the above three take approx 5-7 hours on train from Paris.

I have real a litlle about each one but wanted to hear if any Fodorites have been and could share some info. All three are great for couples and have excellent skiing.

Courcheval is probably the Aspen of the bunch. I hate to compare is to something in Colorado but Town&Country magazine did so c'est la vie..

My wife is a beginner and I am advanced in our skiing abilities. Both love to go out to dinner and hit the bars. She is a spa lover and would love to spa a couple of days instead of ski. Any place with great spas as well.

If we don't ski, its down to Provence for eight days(her idea). Need help and don't have much time left until we leave.

Thanks again and happy holidays to all out there on the boards.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Vicky

LL: We have been going to Zermatt for seven years now and just love it. We stay at the Mont Cervin and they have a beautiful indoor pool and fantastic spa. The room rate includes breakfast and a four course dinner. Plus they have a "dine about" option to have dinner at 4 or 5 other places. The hotel lets us store our skiis, poles, boots and ski clothes there until we return the following year. Have a wonderful time wherever you go.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:23 AM
marilyn

I cannot give you information on the skiing front ,but i do can tell you that Zermatt is a beautiful village!! It is a no car village so you just walk around the village - lots of restaurnats/bars etc. The views are spectacular -especially the views of the matterhorn.
Provence is not a bad idea either!
have a great time!
Marilyn

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:31 AM
John

LL:

Sounds like a wonderful trip is comming your way! I ski a ton in Europe, but of the three you mentioned, I have only been to Zermatt.

Zermatt is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever skied. Skiing is geared toward better skiers but It has a ton of things to do for the non-skiers as well. I find the Swiss a bit 'cold', my biased opinion only, but that should not deter you from going to a car free, wonderful resort! . One of the better Hotels with a classy spa is the Hotel Julen. Evenings are spent 'walking' along the snow coverd streets in your finest furs and sheerlings! Do I sound jealous! I found that the bars cater to the locals, and most action is in the larger hotel bars. You might want to spot the many Australians and Brits who frequent the area. They have the best spots to party! One "must do" is to check the weather, look for a clear day, and spend it going "over the top" and sking into Italy! Have a wonderful lunch w/ Vino and work off the meal on the beautiful Cervinia slopes! Just leave yourself enough time to make the journey back into Switzerland before the sun drops below the mountain. Another 'must do' is to find one of the numerous "mountain resturants" and spend the afternoon eating and enjoying the many views of the Mattahorn! The one that I frequent is the "Che Vroney" in the Findeln area!
JOHN

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:40 AM
LL

Can you give some possible hotel choices in these areas as well?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:54 AM
LL

John, tried for the Hotel Julen but all booked for the time period we will be available to go. Any other suggestions. Looked into both Chamonix and Courcheval. Both seem great but major ski event in Chamonix at the time will make things a bit hectic.

Courcheval seems a little more high end. All hotels seem to be either feast or famine. Either 100EU or 620EU per night. Thanks for any help.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:44 AM
John

LL:

I stayed at the "sister" hotel to the Julen. It is the Hotel Orion. It is right across the street from the Julen. It is definitely a 'step down' in quality from the Julen, but the people were wonderful, had a great meal plan and....best of all...you had free admission to use the Julens Spa facility.... a very "European" experience..if you know what I mean!!
Go to the website www.ski-zermatt.com It is one of the better ski sites that I have found!
JOHN

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 04:47 AM
John

LL:

I might add that my favorite resort is in Lech, Austria. I think it will fill all your requirements for a ski vacation! If you want more info..let me know!
JOHN

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:08 AM
marie

Just a thougt -- Megeve -- wonderful village GREAT skiing for all levels fabulous restaurants and plenty of shopping and a great spa hotel Les Femme des Marie