COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Site Friendly to Extra Long Trip Reports

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:35 PM
Lauren

Site Friendly to Extra Long Trip Reports

In addition to posting my trip reports on the AOL travel boards, I also post them on the independenttraveler.com on the message boards. The Independent Traveler does not get the same number of posts that fodors does because it is monitored. What that means is that you do not have to subject yourself to negative posts and abuse when you put up a trip report.

Also, the Independent Traveler is more friendly to long posts. Since I tend to write a novel (LOL), I find it easier to use that site rather than to break the post up into a zillion parts to put it up on fodors.

I have an 18 part trip report on my home exchange in Scotland in August 2000 and part of my trip report on my home exchange in Germany (8 parts so far) on the message boards on the Independent Traveler.

Some of you doing detailed trip reports should consider the Independent Traveler as as an alternative. The posts are, by the way, a lot easier to read on that site than on the fodors site. It really has a lot to do with site design.

If you want to post on IT, you have to register. Only one name is allowed. There are a lot fewer posts than fodors BUT there are also NO FLAMES.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:46 PM
brevity

I don't mean to sound rude, Lauren, but whom do you expect to read your long, long reports. And, to think that on the now-famous Rex thread you admit to writing reports even longer than Rex's. Now, that's long!
For your own peace of mind, why don't you stick with the Independent Traveler mesage board? Then, you wouldn't have to put up with us anonymous types!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:28 AM
it'salljust

The independenttraveler.com site needs you, Lauren, where you do not have to subject yourself - or others, as you well know - to negative posts and abuse. Fodor's does not.

You ARE the weakest link, good bye.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 11:11 AM
Mia

Seems pretty obvious to me that the "audience" for long, detailed trip reports is ... anyone seriously planning a similar trip. Frankly, I don't understand all the whining on this site about long trip reports. If you don't want to read the report at all, skip the thread. If you only want certain information in the report, skim or use the "find" function on your browser. If I were going to Scotland, for example, but staying in B&Bs and using public transportation, I might skip Lauren's info on renting a house or car or driving in Scotland, but still be interested in her detailed information on, say, sightseeing or restaurants or distillery tours. Somebody else might want to know about shopping or internal flights or local theatre. The more detail someone gives, the more useful the thread is to a wide variety of readers. I'm sure Lauren and Rex don't expect everyone to read every word of their trip reports. Anyone over the age of 3 should be capable of selective browsing.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:07 PM
ohoh

WoW Mia, you go girl! Also, Virtual Tourist is a fun website with opportunity not only to post travelogues and reports but with pictures (and some add song!)