COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you buy scissors in the airport stores?

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 01:40 PM
anon

Message: I in Europe and tonight on our news they were showing how ridiculous it is for the airlines to take away scissors, nail clippers, etc from us when once you go through security, and take a look inside some of the stores, you can buy scissors, razors, cork screws, a mushroom board that had a very large razor on it that anyone could take off and use, etc.
Even in the kids section they had scissors.
They found in another store a mini sewing kit with little scissors in it, even pins and needles.
They even went inside an airlines lounge for club card members and first class passengers. There was no one around looking but there were trays ready with fruit on them and had steel knives.
They easily took it and put it in their bag and went to the plane and got on. No problems.
It was unreal.
They wanted to see if on the return trip back, would they find the same things and be able to do the same thing.
They did.

I am wondering if all the other airports are any better.
Has anyone noticed?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 02:42 PM
Bebe

I had the same thought when we were at Dulles on our return from Italy on 9/25. It seemed ridiculous that after passing through the security checkpoints you still have access to stores, lounges,etc where presumably one could find potential weapons. I checked one of the stores near our gate at Dulles just to see what kind of products might be available. I found nothing that looked like a possible weapon - no razor blades, corkscrews, or the like. Have no idea whether those items may have been removed or were never available in that particular store. It is hard to believe that we could be stupid enough to still be selling a large razor like product in a store that is past the security checkpoint.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:52 PM
Security

Do you think these insights will make it on up to the top? While we're at it, why not install a final measure of security at the door before you actually board the plane?

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 06:55 PM
hmmmmm

I work for company which has stores in airports and they went through our store and all others , item by item, to identify dangerous objects. We cannot even sell pens! We are allow to use box cutters in the stock room but they must be signed out by the staff.

Well, if someone wants a weapon there are a number of ways they can make one. This came to me recently when flying in business class. A terrorist could simple break their drinking glass to create a sharp point, use a plate as a club or force the pilot to eat the chicken! Maybe we should be limited to eating a sandwich and drinking from paper cups. The food sucks anyway....

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:12 PM
xxx

I'd like to hear from everyone that is currently traveling or has traveled recently and taken notice.
What about first class passengers?
I think I agree with the post above.