Sistine Chapel

Mar 30th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Sistine Chapel

Has anyone heard of a tour company who has access to the Sistine Chapel during off-hours? We are trying to see if we can get in someway after hours this saturday? Thanking you all in advance...
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:11 PM
rex

To go to the Sistine Chapel and forego seeing the rest of the Vatican Museum would make as much sense as going to Washington DC and only seeing the Lincoln Monument.

There is such a company, I think. For all the wrong reasons.

Best wishes,

Rex
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

excuse me...i did not plan to bore people on the details of WHY I WANTED TO KNOW. but since you were so rude i will elaborate...i have been to the wonderful museum twice and would go again in a heartbeat. i have been shafted by a student tour company and am taking students all the way to rome and greece and they just told us due to their poor planning that we will arrive in rome after admitting time on saturday. it is closed on sunday, we leave for pompeii on monday am and i am just trying to do the best i can for these students. i love this board...but have never seen more people clearly loving to jump all over people asking innocent questions. do you have the name of the company? and yes, i can do searches myself but i have many commitments this week. i turned to the board for help!
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Um rex, maybe they have seen it before and are looking for something a little different. There?re are many possibilities as to why someone would do what you would assume to be wrong
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:33 PM

Wondering.... just ignore people who irritate you. It's the only way to survive around here. (I know, easier said than done)
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:36 PM

very hard at times !!!
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:42 PM

I took such a tour 2 weeks ago which was set up by my employer. It was on a weekday and I don't know if Saturday will work. I will give you the name of the company tomorrow. I believe, however, that it was fairly expensive.
Mar 30th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

thanks SO MUCH!
Mar 30th, 2004, 06:08 PM
rex

I really apologize.
Mar 30th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Which student tour company is it? I've used several in the past and some were more willing to work out things like this. Call them and push for your group to go on Monday morning(9am) before they head for Pompeii. This should only delay departure 2 hours or so if you only want to see the Chapel. You are probably staying in the Sorrento area for the night after Pompeii so you will still have time to see Pompeii but maybe not as much free time in Sorrento. Even if they say they can't keep pushing for it and if there are other group leaders (from other schools) on your tour get them to call also. I had this happen in 1999. Got to Rome and discovered if we didn't head directly from the airport to the Chapel we wouldn't get to see it. I had to be very insistent. If you have a plan for them to implement then your chances will be better. Example - check out of hotel Monday morning, tour Sistine Chapel 8:45-10:30, leave Rome for Pompeii at 11, arrive Pompeii 2, leave Pompeii 5 etc.
Mar 30th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

kybourbon: thanks for your advice! the problem is that we go from pompeii to the overnight ferry from bari to greece. the company is explorica and i am reserving judgement until we arrive. at this point nothing they do will surprise me and, believe me, we have been pushing over several travel changes. they have offered a night bus tour in place and i have made it clear that city lights do not replace the sistine chapel!!! the other tour leaders have complained as well and while they told me, no go, they told another they would see if the bus driver could make all the connections. so who knows??? i am thinking now i know why my husband and i travel on our own! i just thought it would be nice to take some students......

and rex- thanks for the apology. i really did have a bad day....
Mar 30th, 2004, 08:54 PM

I take it you are leaving this week. What time does your flight arrive in Rome? Most flights get in around 7 or 8 am. If yours gets in that early have Explorica throw your luggage on the bus and take you from the airport to the museum. Last entrance time is 12:20. I just looked at your tour on Explorica - thought maybe you were doing Italy/Greece which gives you a night in Sorrento but it appears you are doing Rome/Greece. I think Monday is still doable if you get there at opening 8:45(tour groups don't have to wait)and take a guick tour through the Chapel you can be out by 9:45 and head for Pompeii. Arrive Pompeii 12:45 or 1 and spend a few hours and then on to Bari. The ferry starts boarding in the afternoon but usually doesn't set sail til 10 or 11 pm. I don't remember how long of a drive it is from Pompeii to Bari but I think it was 3 or 4 hours. Do you know which ferry? Is it the Greek Superfast? If it is you can look up their schedules online and that might help convince Explorica if they think it won't sail til 10 or 11.
Mar 30th, 2004, 09:19 PM

I looked at the ferry website and the only one out of Bari to Greece is the Superfast. It has a departure time listed as 20:00 and it recommends checking in 2 hours before departure but also says final check in is 20 minutes before departure. greekferries.gr or superfast.com
I looked at mappy.com and it says it is 2 hours and 39 minutes to Bari from Pompeii. You would only be able to stay in Pompeii a couple of hours and you would still need to factor some meal times in there somewhere. There is a restaurant in Pompeii. They will have dinner on the ferry in the cafeteria.

I would first try to make it on your arrival day in Rome even if Explorica needs to stay at the airport and wait for other groups to arrive you could train in to Termini and catch the metro to the museum.
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:51 AM

Here's the tour group that set up our private tour of the Vatican Museaum & Sistine Chapel:
DMC Olinad
Joyce Menten
[email protected]
phone: 011-39-031-300-327 ext. 223
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:56 AM

I wish I read this post before our recent trip to Rome! We went to the Vatican on Saturday because we knew it was closed on Sunday. We were so dissapointed to find that the Sistine Chapel was closed! We immensely enjoyed St. Peters but the Sistine Chapel was something we had our hearts set on. Oh well...reason enough to plan another trip to Rome! Good luck and I hope you and your students have a terrific time!
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:59 AM

Rex has a reputation for being ANYTHING but rude, and is entitled to his opinion.

Sorry about the bad day Wondering and enjoy the trip.
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:03 AM

Kybourbon,

Kudos to you and all the help you're offering to wondering. To me that's really the spirit of this board. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about others. Seems to me it was not wondering who was having a bad day.
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

kybourbon and itswoody: thank you for all your help- since we do not arrrive until 1:40 (don't get me started on connections flying!) i have contacted the private tour regarding a 4pm sat tour ( i know cutting it very close)and am awaiting prices..she sounds doable. i just don't know if the student's parents are going to want to foot the price...i would like to charge it to explorica...i will let you all know how this saga plays out...this board really does have the best information available!!!
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:53 AM

Wondering, it sounds like you are taking the same trip that my 17 year old daughter is on right now. She left yesterday afternoon and I imagine she is right at this moment strolling around Rome. Her trip was through NETC, but we have also gone to France twice with ACIS and they were very accommodating to changes from the itinerary, as long as it didn't complicate travel connections.

I can't help with the Sistine tour company, but I have been on that after hours tour, which also includes a lot of the Vatican museum. My husband is in the insurance business and fabulous trips are offered as sales incentive, so I've no idea of the cost of such a tour, but I can vouch for the fact that it is incredible.

I hope it works out. Your students are very lucky to have a great teacher willing to take them on such a trip. My daughter is with a Latin and Classics teacher.

I'm a longtime lurker, so I feel as if I know all of you...but you don't know me. I finally registered to post.
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM

momontherun2001 - ACIS and NETC are the "upscale" student tour companies and as such you get a much different experience than traveling with EF or Explorica the "budget" tour companies. One of the many differences is ACIS and NETC will tell you months in advance that your schedule will conflict with openings and are very upfront about it. When you know months in advance you can change to another tour. EF and Explorica will tell you at the last minute and point to their diclaimer info. It helps to read all the fine print and select tours and departure dates that will avoid putting you somewhere on a closed day.

Wondering - I hope you are able to arrange your private tour. Let us know how this works out and the price. I think there are many people that this has happened to that would like to book a private tour as well. Also keep in mind that it is probably upsetting you more than the students. They tend to "go with the flow" and are just excited to be in another country. Make sure Explorica takes you to St.Peter's Sunday morning for the Pope's Blessing. Your students will be thrilled and end up talking about that more than they would the Sistine Chapel. Also take them to Hard Rock on Via Veneto to buy t-shirts and you will have happy kids!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO