Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sister looking for combo trip: Florence and beach location (where?)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

Hoping someone here may be able to give me some ideas. My sister would like to do a trip to Italy combining a few days in Florence with a few days at an Italian beach/ coastal town.

She knows I spend ridiculous hours on internet travel boards so has asked me to do an initial look around; having started by reading existing threads I figured it may be better to start a new thread asking for help.

Firstly, can anyone suggest any suitable destinations for the coastal stay? She enjoyed Positano and Ravello and other towns along the Neapolitan coast many years back so it doesn't have to be somewhere with a postcard picture of a sandy beach. If you can recommend a lovely chill-out hotel/ guesthouse in your suggested place, even better!

Secondly, I've been looking at the various threads on hotels here. She hasn't got a particular budget in mind (though she doesn't want to go crazy high either) but wants something really well-located (for sightseeing, evening meals out, maybe some local bars) and also comfortable, attractive, clean, friendly.

I looked at the Casci which covers most of those but, judging purely from the photos on the website, the rooms don't look particularly attractive - slightly dark with basic and dated furniture. Do they look more appealing in person?

She'll be travelling with her boyfriend so something with a little romance would be nice.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be so grateful.

THANKS
Kavey
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:10 AM

Will they have a car for the coastal part of the trip?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Hey ekscrunchy!
They are open to driving, yes, though they'd also be happy to get the train, whatever works best for the non-city break part of the trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:30 AM

It depends on what time they are going. In August or on summer weekends, I wouldn't want to have a car on the Riviera. From mid-September to May, I'd consider it.

It sounds to me like Santa Margherita Ligure is the right-sized place and it's on the train line. If they are foodies, they might want to head over to Chiavari (10 mins away by train) for first class Ligurian specialities. Otherwise, the local pesto and fish is just fine.

David Downie has just published a new book for Ligurian food and wine that is excellent -- truly excellent.

If they have a car, they also might like Lerici, which is closer to Firenze. It's too big for me, but it sounds to me like your "clients" want a little more action than the typical villages of the Cinque Terre and Camogli, which have minimal offerings.

There is not a lot of showstopping sightseeing on the Riviera apart from the beautiful views. Staying in Lerici with a car allows for pleasant outings to Castelnuovo di Magra, Montemarcello, Sarzana and the "Tuscan end" of Liguria.

Staying in Santa Margherita Ligure without a car allows for boat and train trips to picturesque villages, a cable car ride to the mountain peaks (leaves from Rapallo), hikes in the Portofino National Park and a 40 minute train ride into Genova for its riotous mix of high culture and medieval mystery, and great food.

Finally, if it turns out they do want a very small fishing village, try Camogli, and try I Tre Merli for an accommodation.

In Firenze, I thought Tourist House Ghiberti was romantic.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM

Hub and I trained (in March) to Viareggio from our Pisa base and thought it looked like fun. Don't know if it's too close to where she's visited but here's one of many sites:

http://www.welcometuscany.it/tuscany.../viareggio.htm
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks, this is wonderful.
I think she said June but I'll call her and check, or better still, I'll send her a list of links (including this thread) and suggest she post herself to clarify and ask more questions!
And yes, as my sister, she's very much a foodie! I don't know about the BF as haven't met him yet!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:36 AM

I think another good option, especially for someone interested in food, would be the area near the border of Tuscany and Liguria. This seems to be quite a gourmet center; she might consider Lerici or Marina de Pietrasanta..this link has some excellent coverage of that general area and beyond:

http://www.vacanzeinversilia.com/eng...etrasanta.html
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Gaaaah, little sisters!

Having asked me to look into this for her she and boyfriend then got together on weekend and booked it all!

They went for Arezzo (which isn't even on the coast) as their relaxing location. They decided against driving and it's easy to get to on the train. The accommodation they booked will collect them from the station.

I'm so sorry for wasting your time, those of you who kindly took the time to write up such helpful replies. However, hopefully it might prove useful to others in the future.

Recos for restaurants in Florence and Arezzo would still be welcome!

Sorry and thanks again!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 05:04 AM

For the money I think the www.hotelcasci.com is good. You can tripadvisor their reviews and I can't see any which are bad at all.

Other hotels to consider:
http://www.hotelperseo.it/ - good central location
http://www.jkplace.com - boutque
http://www.hotel-florence-montebellosplendid.com - 4 star

As for beaches, try here:
http://www.tuscanexplorer.com/explor...n-tuscany.html
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 06:31 AM

The JK Place, recommended by WebmasterTV Man above has rates ranging from 350 to 1000 euro per night!!! I think that qualifies as crazy high for a student, so I would discount that particular recommendation!
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

She's not a student - she just didn't want to spend hundreds of Euros per night. She just emailed me that they've booked accommodation so have asked which ones they chose.