Search

Sintra Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Barbara

Sintra Hotels

Any experience with or information about the Setais Palace Hotel or the Lawrence Hotel in Sintra? I am a single woman traveling alone in the beginning of January.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Georgine

Barbara,<BR><BR>The Setais Palace Hotel is several miles outside of Sintra on the road to Colares. I would find it very inconvenient without a car. Also, as a single traveler, it is not somewhere I would recommend ---although the hotel is quite lovely. <BR><BR>With sundown so early this time of year,I think you will feel very isolated there. Plus, driving after dark on their curving mountains roads (even in a taxi) would not make me feel conmfortable.<BR><BR>The Lawrence Hotel looks very appealing on its web site ---I had considered it also when we had planned our visit to Sintra. We elected to stay at the Tivoli instead, because of its location across the street from the National Palace and around the corner from the Tourist Office (Which is where the bus to the Pena Palace and Castle of the Moors departs from.) The bus to the train station also leaves from a point about 100 meters from the Tivoli's entrance.<BR>Our room at the Tivoli had a large balcony from which we looked directly up at the walls of the Castle of the Moors.<BR>A fairytale site!!<BR><BR>If you are seriously considering the Lawrence, I would call the Sintra Tourist Office and ask:<BR> o The walking distance from the Lawrence to the Tourist Office<BR> o Safety of walking that route alone after sunset.<BR><BR>E-mail if you have other questions. Just got back last week from a second visit to Portugal.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 12:57 PM
barbara

Georgine,<BR>Thank you for your response to my question on Sintra, posted on the Fodor's site. I am planning on spending 1or 2 days in Lisbon, then one week horseback riding South of Lisbon in the Alentejo, then I thought I would spend my last 2 days in Sintra and view the sights there and in Queluz. Does this sound reasonable to you? And do you have any recommendations on restaurants, sights and other hotels?<BR>Thanks so much,<BR>Barbara

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 01:49 AM
j

--&gt; Georgine<BR><BR>Seteais is only one mile far from Sintra.<BR><BR>Even with this smaller correction, I agree with everything you posted.<BR><BR>--&gt; Barbara<BR><BR>1 or 2 days sounds very limited to Lisbon. To extract the best of it in such a short period of time, you must plan carefuly. <BR><BR>Where are you heading in the Alentejo region? It's a place I know quite well. If I know where are you going to, I can give you some hints.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 02:03 AM
David

We stayed at the Setais in September and it is a lovely hotel, but I would agree that it could be little quiet/lonely for a solo traveller. Also, the gardens/pool of the Setais are a big feature and in January you are unlikely to make too much use of these!<BR><BR>We had dinner one night in the Lawrence. It is much closer to the town than Setais - maybe about 1 or 2 mins walk from the main square/tourist office. I would think that the road would be fine to walk on your own but the tourist office may be able to give you more advice. The decor of the hotel was really lovely - very recently refurbished but in keeping with the atmosphere of an "inn". However, I have to say that we were vey dissapointed with the meal. It was an expensive night out and although the descriptions of the food sounded tempting, it didn't live up to what we were expecting. <BR><BR>In terms of time, we spent 2 nights in Sintra and we found this more than enough. I would agree with the previous poster who advised staying longer in Lisbon to see all the sights and sample the city. Good luck!

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Barbara

J-<BR>Thank you for your comments. I will definetely not stay at the Setais. Georgine mentioned the Tivoli, and Karen Brown's book suggested another samll hotel.<BR><BR>Lisbon: I am arriving very early Saturday morning, and staying until Sunday late afternoon. I have two days at the end of trip which I was going to do in Sintra, but do you suggest returning to Lisbon? <BR><BR>Alentejo: I am staying in Vila Nova de Milfontes for one week on a horseback riding holiday, but we have some free time. Any information would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks, Barbara

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Barbara

David,<BR>How many days would you recommend in Lisbon? And where did you stay in Sintra? Thanks, Barbara

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 07:22 AM
David

We stayed at the Palais de Setais in Sintra.<BR><BR>I would recommend at least 2 full days for Lisbon and 3 if possible. We stayed in the Regency Chiado and really liked it. I have heard some negative comments regarding Lisbon - that it is a little faded, not quite Paris etc - but I think that that just added to its appeal. On the other hand - if cities are not generally to your liking and you prefer the countryside, allocate more time to Sintra.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 09:51 PM
Kay

I was looking into the pousada lodging on the manorhouses site. Has anyone tried those in Portugal. We are flying to Lisbon next week for 9 days.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:37 AM
wells

topping for Cammy