Search

Sintra By Car

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sintra By Car

In mid June I will be renting a car in Porto and working my way down to Lisbon where I will drop it off. Driving from Ericeira does it make sense while I have the car to drive to Sintra and tour the area prior to dropping the car off in Lisbon. I have read that there are some nice scenic drives around the Sintra area. The other option would be to drop the car and do a day trip to Sintra. I have three nights booked in Lisbon. Thanks for the help!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:12 AM

Scenic drives go west from Sintra to the Cabo de Real (? vaguley recall name) - the westernmost outcropping of rocks on the European continent - you can clambor out on the cape and then take the coastal road via Cascais and Estoril to Lisbon.

I've done this route by bus so if you ditch the car and save a day's rental fee - take the few euro train to Sintra and see the two famous castles there - hop a bus to the Cape and around to Cascais, etc. would be possible too.

Obidos is right on the way to Sintra from the north so stop for a short look at least at this wonderful ancient completely walled medieval town.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:31 AM

If i were you i'd skip driving to Sintra and just head straight to Lisbon. Sintra is easily accessible by commuter train from Rossio Square in Lisbon. (roughly a 20 minute ride) Once you're there busses and taxis can shuttle you all around. Sintra is one of the easiest day trips from a European capital IMO

also: If you're going to Pena Palace and The Castle of the Moors, there's a shuttle near the train station that will taxi you to the top of the hill. There will be a stop for the Moorish castle first but skip this and get off at Pena Palace. When you're done there it's a fairly easy walk down to the Moorish castle.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:46 AM

One of the reasons you do not want to drive to Sintra in June is parking.
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:41 AM

It is easy to go by car and not such a bad idea. the surrounding are very beautiful. I would suggest Quinta da regaleira in Sintra, and try Travesseiros de Sintra in a local bakery called Piriquita.
If you decide to do that, head to Guincho and drive by the sea to cascais, it's a beautiful trip with a lot of beaches in the area to stop by. I live in Portugal and i have never gone there any other way, so it might not be such a bad idea.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:03 AM

We found having a car to travel around Sintra was invaluable, as there are so many sights to enjoy and they are widely scattered.
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We had an easy time, twice with a car in Sintra. But we do try to get there before 10am.

If you are driving from Porto, a few hours in Oviedo, as suggested, is a good idea. Perhaps later in the afternoon would work in Sintra with a car.

Then you have a drive to Lisbon, perhops less than an hour.

A good long day and then two full days in Lisbon.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:53 PM

There are so many sites to see in and around Sintra that a car is a nice to have because you can stop when and where you want to visit.
Parking might be a problem specially on Saturdays and Sunday, so avoid week-ends.
Enjoy your trip to Sintra, Cascais, Guicho, and Estoril
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Hi,

Drive from Ericeira to Sintra before droping the car. It's not that hard to park the car in Sintra, just don't try to do it in the main square. There public free parking some 100 meters down the hill from the main square. http://goo.gl/maps/gkpKF.

I think there's no point in rushing to Lisbon to drop the car and then go to the train to Sintra.

Besides, after getting to know the old town you can drive to the castle and to the palace where there are public parking also.

Of course there are special days and periods to avoid, go early, before or around 10:00 and it should be fine.

If you're coming mid June be aware that there are some bank holidays and there's a lot of parties in Lisbon so you could also be missing this Lisbon festivities.