Which area is safe in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which area is safe in Rome

Hi guys,
Could anyone tell me which areas are good to stay in Rome
Somewhere with lots of restaurant (since I will be travelling with a baby), not to far from the sightseeing areas and affordable (budget is under 200$) and most of all clean clean clean (

I heard from ppl not to stay near Termini as there are lots of thugs.
Is this right?

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:00 AM

I would consider the area around Termini a bit seedy and not hte best. Try the historic centre by Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori or Trastevere (which is across the river from the other three I list but lots of restaurants and walking distance and cheaper I found.)
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:59 AM

The Termini area caters to budget travelers, student groups, working to middle class Italians. It isn't really seedy, but it is no feast for the eye. You won't wake up in the morning thinking, "I'm in Enchanted April!" but I don't think you will get hassled either.

From Campo di Fiori to the Pantheon, you will feel like you are in "the real Rome", and there are lots of places to eat. The downside is that particularly the Campo di Fiori attracts younger partiers and can be noisy until late, very late.

I have friends who love Trastevere, but it so far leaves me cold, probably owing to my own ignorance. They have rented apartments there, I have only wandered through. It seems a bit like staying in Queens to visit Manhattan, but next trip to Rome we will probably look for an apartment there NEAR THE TRAAM AND BUS LINES. Yes, deliberate shouting.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 08:20 AM

Count me as one of those who love Trastevere. It is more of a neighborhood but has its own attractions. Lodging costs less there as do restaurants which is an added plus. It is just across the river, so depending where you stay in Trastevere you can be a few minute walk to more of the center to at most a half hour to 45 minute scenic walk. Trams are plentiful and quick as well. You will feel perfectly safe in Trastevere.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM

We vote for Trastervere also. Contact me if you want the info on where we stayed last year (and are returning to this year again in September). While you do have to take the bus to the city center, the stop is steps from the apartment and connections were a breeze. The place was comfortable, clean, very convenient and on the second floor (European first floor) which made me feel quite safe. Great kitchen with a stove, toaster, coffee makers, full fridge and dishes and a wonderful bathtub as well as a huge terrace all to yourself. Restaurants & groceries right there in the neighborhood. Highly recommend.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 09:28 AM

Our friend stayed near Termini at Hotel des Artistes, which has budget rooms at various price points, with his teen-aged daughter. He thought it was a nice hotel, not fancy but decent. And he had no complaints about the neighborhood. It is a bit seedy but you should not feel threatened there. The "thugs" were probably not really thugs.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
ira

Hi en,

We enjoyed our stay at http://www.hotelmaikol.com/
Very nice people.

It is in a not unpleasant neighborhood, across the street from a park and about a block from a metro stop.

Not far from Termini.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
RJD

My favorite area is near the Spanish Steps. Slightly more upscale that the Campo di Fiore and filled with restaurants of many varieties. Good access to the metro and quite safe.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:27 AM

Agree to avoid Termini.

I hate the Spanish Steps area (we would stroll around there nightly, enjoy it, and love returning to "our" area).

Preference is for Pantheon/Piazza Navona. We never had to use Metro--so much in Rome is extremely walkable, which you don't really know until you get there.

But area can be pricey.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM

We stayed in the Jewish quarter with Trastevere just across the river (for dinner/evening strolls). The Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiori are quite close. Loved it and felt very safe at night.

It's also easy to get to from FCO. Take a regular train (not the Leo Express to Termini) to the Trastevere Station; then the #8 tram towards Argentina. I think it's the FR1 train. Very easy to do.

Rome is very walkable. The trams and buses are easy to use, but the buses may get stuck in horrendous traffic, in which case it is faster to walk.

SS
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM

(addition to above post)

The FR1 train seems to be called the FM1 train in some places, but either way, it's the same train.

When we went (2007) it went from FCO to Orte -- Roma Trastevere was the 5th stop.

SS
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM

A friend recently stayed at Hotel Golden in the area above the Spanish Steps. It was next door to the American Embassy and she felt very safe there. She said the hotel was very clean, affordable, and accommodating with helpful staff.

We've stayed twice at Hotel San Carlo which is between the Spanish Steps and Via del Corso. It was a very clean and quiet hotel and easy walking distance to many restaurants, ATM, and various sites. It was much quieter than the Piazza Navonna area, but some people really like the 24/7 activity. We prefer calm and quiet.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM

I love the Hotel Modigliani, which is fairly near the Spanish Steps, incredibly safe, and has a wonderful, wonderful staff. Also love Trastevere, but with an small one a bit of a hassle (though not much) to get into central Rome and definitely cheaper.