Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartment in Trastevere? Campo di Fiori?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2016, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in Rome.

I've received advice from different people -- stay in Trastevere, stay in Campo di Fiori, they say.

While l love the idea of staying in Trastevere, is that neighborhood too far from the main sights, i.e., Colloseum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi, Forum?

We love to walk and prefer to walk over taking a bus or train or cab, but since our time in Rome is limited, a really far walk (say, more than 20 minutes walking from Trastevere to any of the sights I listed above) is not an efficient use of our time.

We will be in Rome March 28 through April 2. Under $400 per night is our preference.

Any advice on this topic is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 04:42 AM

You should have plenty of choices at that price - BUT you are looking quite late for an apartment. I would want to be closer to the historic center - but we like to walk out the door and have sights just a few blocks away.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:04 AM

I love trastevere (well, parts of it), and there is a pretty convenient tram right into town, but if this is a first trip to Rome I think I'd want to be closer to the center.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:27 AM

Trastevere will give you more of the feeling of a Rome neighborhood, but Campo di Fiori is more convenient to more sights. I stayed in that area the last time I visited Rome and was able to walk everywhere.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Does the Campo di Fiore area have that same historical feel as Trastevere?

We definitely want to stay somewhere with cobblestone streets, old buildings and quaint squares.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:51 AM

I can't think of anywhere in Rome that doesn't have a "historical feel."

It's Campo dei Fiori (field of flowers).
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:59 AM

I would think either would be very pleasant and with historical feel - IMO Campo dei Fiori is more tourist filled. If you are right on the main piazza, it could be a bit noisey in the evening. In the day there is a large market, in the evening, many revelers if the weather is pleasant.

Tratevere is more locals (well at least it used to be). How convenient it is to the rest of the sights depends a great deal on exactly where the apartment is....it could be a pretty manageble stroll across the river, short tram ride, or quite a bit further. Look on the map and see how close the apartment is to the river / bridge that crosses into core of the city. Also that location could be much more convenient to the Vatican, again, depending on exact location.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 06:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We were last in Rome this past May. We found the main areas in Trastevere packed with tourists. As you walked a distance from the main areas, it was less crowded. I agree that you can certainly walk form Trastevere to major sites, but staying in Campo D'fiori is a bit closer.
I do agree that pretty much all of Rome has that "historical feel." This last trip we stayed right near the Pantheon. We generally like to stay a bit away from a major site, but this worked out well. The bedroom was in the back, so very quiet. I enjoyed looking out the living room windows onto the square and watching all the goings on. It was fun. The location was very convenient and we walked everywhere.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm really on the fence as both look and sound fantastic!

Will do some more research, thank you all for your excellent feedback.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 11:36 AM

https://www.vrbo.com/600882

Hi Judy - this one is in Trastevere but a short walk across Ponte Sisto and straight ahead on Via dei Pettinari and you're a minute from Campo di Fiori (also on Via dei Pettinari is one of Rome's best gelateria's 'Punto Gelato - MHO of course!).
If you stick close to the Ponte Sisto area in Trastevere you're still walking distance to most sights.
I added this link as an example of what's out there so hope it helps.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Beautiful apartment! Unfortunately not available on the dates we'll be in Rome (March 28 - April 2).
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm leaning towards Campo dei Fiori, but am having a heck of a time finding a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment.

Any website suggestions?

Are there any hotels that offer apartments? I'd prefer to go that route if possible, but am having difficulty finding one.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 04:29 AM

It is spelled Campo de'Fiori.

Rome Loft shows several 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartments for your dates in Campo de'Fiori.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi sandralist! Good to hear from you again!

I'll have to look again at Rome Loft, I didn't see any for my dates (March 28 to April 2).

I've been corrected so many times on how to spell Campo de'Fiori/Campo dei Fiori/Campo de Fiori/Campo di Fioro/Campo d'Fiori.....haha

I hope that however it is spelled that everyone know what I'm talking about!

Thanks again, I'll check out Rome Loft once more.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 07:36 AM

Hi again Judy_Rosa

When in Rome (or on your way), do as the Romans do. Campo de'Fiori.

I don't think you can find a hotel with an apartment big enough for 4 adults that would be comfortable -- or if it is comfortable, it is hugely expensive.
You could try Residence dell'Olmata, which is in the Monti neighborhood, which is quite good for touring. However, Olmata doesn't have 2-bed/2-bath apartments, so you would want 2 studios.

Don't limit yourself to just Trastevere and Campo de'Fiori. In fact, if you've decided on your major sightseeing targets, mark them with an "X" on a map of Rome and then look for an apartment central relative to your "X"s.

http://www.tripomatic.com/lp/Rome-Tourist-Map-in-PDF/

http://romemap360.com/rome-tourist-map#.Vo1CXtzoa2w

http://romemap360.com
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Campo de'Fiori! I won't forget!

Since we are only in Rome 4 1/2 days we really want to be within walking distance of the major sights.

I've looked at maps and I feel that the area around Campo de'Fiori, Piazza Navona, and the Pantheon are the areas that we will probably spend a majority of our time.

Of course, we will spend a day at the Vatican and several hours at the Colosseum, but other than that, these are the neighborhoods that appeal to me for our roaming around.

The Largo di Torre Argentina area is nice too, I found an apartment on Hotels.com in that neighborhood and it's close to the areas we'd like to stay in, need to follow up on that one for reviews.

I think I need to reserve something really soon, though....it is Easter week and availability is limited already.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 01:51 PM

Campo dei Fiori is also correct; the de'is just a contraction that imitates the Roman pronunciation. You see both spellings in apartment advertisements, and the Hotel Campo dei Fiori doesn't contract it.

Campo dei Fiori is a very compact area, whereas Trastevere is a large area, and some apartment owners stretch its borders even further. As Blue-eyed Cod says, the area near Ponte Sisto is very convenient. You should always check the location of Trastevere apartments on a map, and use Google Street View to see if it's a modern neighborhood, if you're looking for historical charm.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 02:15 PM

Judy Rosa,

Largo di Torre Argentina is a very good location. I agree you need to book something soon.

bvlienci:

The contraction isn't an option for Romans (which is true in many cases in Italian, not even place names) and that a hotel might not use the contraction wouldn't mean it is correct. (Google only turns up hotels named Campo de'Fiori -- sure about the misspelling?)

Even if one believed it was only the preferred spelling, why teach a visitor what is marks the visitor by 99.9% of Romans as tourist?

A visitor to Rome won't go wrong or be corrected if they use what locals and maps consider the proper name and pronuciation -- actually because it is the proper name and pronunciation: Campo de'Fiori!

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campo_de%27_Fiori
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 02:23 PM

We stayed in Campo dei Fiori in April 2014 on our first visit to Rome. It was a brilliant base with all those wonderful sites nearby. Beautiful old buildings, cobblestone streets, places to eat....everything you could want. Of course there are tourists, there are tourists everywhere in Rome but there is plenty of walking just between all these sites without a trek to get to the area. We did not find it noisy at all.
Try an apartment that will sleep four, there are plenty there.
Old Jan 6th, 2016, 02:28 PM

I was just trying to give the whole story, which you haven't. For an example, how about this?

http://www.budgetplaces.com/it/roma-...dei-fiori.html

<i>... why teach a visitor what is marks the visitor by 99.9% of Romans as tourist?</i>

My information was not intended as prescriptive, and anyway no one's going to think you're a Roman because you say "Campo de'Fiori".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -