Notices

Singing on the plane

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:53 PM
Bill

Singing on the plane

I had added this to another thread, but I like this newspaper article so much I decided to make it a separate post.
Two of the singers are my sons - ages 11 and 15.
http://sunspot.net/features/lifestyl...tslife%2Dtoday

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:35 PM
Dale

Wow! What a joy to have sons like yours! I'm sure you're very proud and rightly so. It's so good to hear positive stories about young people these days. All the best to you and all the guys in the choir. -- Dale from Nova Scotia, Canada

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:37 PM
Gloria

Bill! How very lovely! It must be thrilling for you to see your children use their talents and also travel as a benefit. You have a right to be so proud.
Thank you for sharing.
Gloria

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 03:40 PM
Judi

Bill, what a great story. It brought tears to my eyes; think of how I would have felt if I had been on that flight! I read your posts about your trip with and without the choir through Austria, Germany and northern Italy. They are great ambassadors and I know you are very proud of them.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:03 PM
Bill

You know what? It brought tears to MY eyes too! (Something a stoic guy rarely admits.)

We are so incredibly fortunate -- first in having two wonderful sons (sometimes agravating, but always wonderful!) and secondly having them become involved with this choir. They have done an incredible amount of travel on concert tours. Canada, New York, Chicago, Florida, and topped off by this incredible trip to Europe.

On thing about them that I think is incredible is their willingness to sing anytime, anyplace -- just for the love of singing. When we crossed paths with the tour on the European trip, we were with a group of 8 of them in Oberammergau, Bavaria. None of the Choir's staff was there, just us and a parent-chaperone. In the cemetery outside the beautiful church in town, they decided to sing a very solemn song -- in Spanish. They were by themselves in the cemetery when they started to sing, but people had come out of the church and off the street to listen by the time the song ended. Then in the main square of town, they sang a contemporary gospel song, and quickly had a group of tourists and towns-people clapping along with them. We weren't there, but I'm told that there was an instant crowd in the hundreds when the the whole choir sang several songs in the evening in the center of the old walled town of Rothenburg(sp?) in Germany. And they do the same thing wherever they go in America.

People who have come to the conclusion that all American kids are shallow and self-centered haven't met these guys yet.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:22 PM
Thyra

How wonderful! Very uplifting... can I book them for my next flight?????
Seriously, you must be so proud of your sons and what a great story.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:29 PM
kam

What a wonderful story! Only the young people would think of turning an airline trip into an opportunity! Be very proud of them and cherish all these memories.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:33 PM
Dr. Betty

Bill...thee Bill of Godda da Vida fame? I wish I had been on that plane. Shoot, I would have paid extra to be seranaded like that. Total bliss and connection. What could be better?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:58 PM
Bill

Hi Doc! Yes, that's me. The idiot savant of obscure old tunes!

By the way, if anyone wants to learn more about the choir, their website is:
http://www.marylandstateboychoir.org/
It's maintained by a 15-year-old choir boy and is quite good.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Armchair

Nice article! I looked up your son's choir's website, and I was impressed. It's done by a teenager? Excellent! You should be a very proud Dad.