silly (maybe) passport question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We leave tomorrow for Paris - I am so excited! I have a last-minute question that may seem silly, but I've never been out of the country before! My husband bought us both those pouches for our passports that go around our necks and lie under our clothes. Great for him...not so much for me, since you can see it through my shirt. For you seasoned travellers - is the neck pouch really necessary? Is my purse (the kind that goes across my cheast) safe enough? Do I need to keep my passport on me at all times during my trip? And (and maybe most important!) if it's around my neck, how do I get it out in the airport without flashing the entire line!! THANK YOU!!!

Mara
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM

Simple Solution:

Wear a sweater!!!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM

You don't need your passport at all times, but it may be safest to carry it (I'm not sure that the purse is the greatest place, though...). My husband insisted on putting his in the safe in our hotel room, and I generally carried mine in my purse.

BUT, as was recommended to us by a passport agent, I'd make 4 or 5 copies of your passports, and put a copy in each bag, just in case you lose your passport (and other luggage), and need to prove your identity. I also have heard that some people scan theirs and leave a copy in their email account.

Good luck.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM

Mara
There are lots of perils for losing your passport, if you don't take precaution. Using the pouch can work, if it's not visible. But if you don't want this to show, don't carry the passport all of the time.

Make a small duplicate of your passport and even so, it's stolen, you have a better chance of getting a new passport in a reasonable time. I'm just re-applying for a renewal and they advised that the small copy is a good practice.

I never carried my passport except when I needed it for bank purposes or special needs. To a great intent, the copy will work most of the time.

I was in the US Consulate once and there was a very long group, trying to get a replacement. Their passports were stolen. Be careful and don't do stupid movements. You should have a great trip, if you take a bit of caution.

Blackduff
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM

I don't like those neck pouches either. Unless you are wearing bulky clothing, you can see the outline under clothing and the string at the neck.

In Germany, I carried my passport in my purse when we were in transit and left it at the hotel in the safe when we weren't. I also had the copies just in case.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:22 PM

Personally, I prefer the pouch that goes around your waist (also known as a money belt). See sample on this website http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1159827551652

What you do is you put it around your waist before you get dressed and it just gets tucked into your pants or skirt. Don't worry, it's not bulky.

I would advise against putting your passport in your purse - any purse - because even if it's carried across your chest, in some cities there are thieves that walk around with scissors and they just cut it off.

I have been to Europe twice now and both times I used money belts. I keep my passport, my credit cards and extra cash in there. I think it's worth the peace of mind it brings.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM

An under-clothing pouch is for use when you must carry the valuables but NOT need to use them. For airports, you'll want to have the passport in your purse.
In crowded tourist places (Eiffel tower, buses, train stations, etc), valuables are safest under the clothing where pickpockets can't see or reach. Since you are traveling in autumn, you'll probably wear a jacket or sweater that will hide your neck pouch (if you want to take extra cash or spare ATM and credit cards with you bur apart from the single-day cash and credit card in your purse). When I've used the neck pouch, I wear it over one shoulder with the pouch at my side under my shirt, where it is less visible than it would be in front.
However, I don't often use the pouch because unless I am moving from one city to another, I only have a credit card and a small amount of cash in a zippered compartment in my purse -- no wallet and nothing valuable for the quickfingered pros to grab while I am gazing intently at one of the amazing sights of Paris or Rome.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone has to decide for themselves what they feel safe doing. For me, I simply carry my passport in my purse.

If you choose to use it in the airport, leave it outside your shirt thru the boarding process.

If you choose to use it in Europe, it stays under your shirt for safety, you aren't flashing anyone, either way.

;-)
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM

I find it worthwhile having the "around the neck pouch", if only for going through immigration. Rather than having to juggle all my stuff and dig the passport and boarding pass out of wherever I stuffed them, I stick them in the pouch, hanging around my neck outside my clothing. I know exactly where they are at all times and have two hands free to deal with putting stuff in trays,opening suitcases, and getting patted down.

When I am aboard the plane, I put the pouch in my underseat carryon; ready for immigration at the other end. When I get to the hotel, I tuck the documents into my money belt, and toss the empty pouch into my bag until I next go to the airport.