Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

S'il Vous Plaît ... What are your top five Parisian Pleasures?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

February is the month when the travel wheels begin turning in our brains. Paris immediately rose to the top of the list. It will be our first visit, but I know many of you have been more than once.

Please share your top five Parisian Pleasures.

Merci!
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 06:59 AM

The Eiffel Tower, the food, the wine, the cathedrals, the beauty and history of the city.

How I miss Paris!
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:03 AM

1. The ice cream

2. The bread

3. Did I mention the ice cream!

4. The Musee' Rodin

5. The Eiffel Tower at night when the lights are blinking!

6. Everything!!!
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:31 AM

Last April it was sitting in the parks with the locals and eating our lunch.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:42 AM

I could list 100 but:

1. the parks especially Montsouris, Bercy, Luxembourg, Promenade Plantee (a unique elevated park through the city on an abandoned railroad right of way)

2. La Defense at night, breathtaking

3. walking along the Seine, especially on the island L'ile Du Cygne in the 15th,16th arr.with the views of the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower,the RER railroad, Metro and of course the Seine with it's boat traffic

4. walks in the Marais district with the great old Jewish bakeries and deli restaurants,

5. pedestrian areas such as Rue Montorgueil

6. the museums, especially Musee d'Orsay, Marmottan, Rodin, Carnavalet and of course the Louvre

Sorry for the 6 but I could not stop myself.

Have a great visit,
Larry J
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Music. Concerts at churches or concert halls such as the Theatre des Champs Elysees, where folks rioted when Stravinsky conducted the first performance of the Rite of Spring; the medieval music of Ultreia on (very) original instruments on occasional Fridays and Saturdays at the Musee du Moyen Age; the jazz jams in the former dungeon at the Caveau des Oubliettes in the Latin Quarter; the radio stations playing jazz and French contemporary singer-songwriters (for instance FIP, which is, thanks to the miracle of the internet, available also at my desk as I type this).

2. Art. The stained glass windows of Sainte Chapelle; impressionist overload at the Musee d'Orsay and the Musee Marmottan (as well as at the Orangerie, which I have not been able to see yet but plan to attend next month); the Rubens cycle of the life of Marie de Medici hanging in its own room at the Louvre.

3. Food. The street markets; the restaurants (two I have loved are Au Petit Marguery at 9 bd de Port Royal in the 13th arrondissement and Le Pamphlet at 38 rue Debelleyme in the 3rd); the creperies along rue du Montparnasse near the Montparnasse station.

4. Language. The buzz of French conversation in the markets and restaurants; the familiar American TV shows dubbed into French on the television; the interplay with Parisians who want to practice their English while I want to practice my French.

5. People. The ladies holding their little poodles in their handbags on the bus. The cheese vendor who throws in a wheel of camembert when I buy an assortment of cheese. The guy who is putting up posters in the metro station who rolls up the old McDonald's poster (with the picture of two small dogs coupling) my husband is photographing and gives it to us as a souvenir.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Many more than 5--but here we go!

Having an apartment, and going to the bakery each morning for the fabulous bread and pastry.

The Eiffel Tower at night.

A boat trip on the Seine(anything but BatObus)

The Rodin, D'Orsay, and Carnavalat(small is better).

Sitting at the cafes outside and watching the world go by.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 09:00 AM

1) Walking
During the day walking along the Seine, through the partks, stopping along the way to read or have a drink.
2)Cafes and Resturants
Finding a new restaurant; hoping it is great and then looking forward to returning on my next trip.
3) The Sancerre Wine Bar
On Avenue Rapp in the 7th right across the street from an amazing Art Noveau building.
4)The Orsay and The Orangerie
The Orsay for all of it; the paintings, the furniture; the photos.The Orangerie to see my favorite Renoirs.
5) Champs de Mar Park
At sunset for a wonderful scene of the Eiffel Tower and again at night to see it sparkle. I know some think its cheesy...I absolutely love it!
and if I could I would just put the city of Paris itself. Being in it and among everything is why I continue to return year after year.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 09:01 AM
ira

Hi S,

1. The vibrant feel of Paris

2. The bread

3. The Cheese

4. The wine

5. The sights

How many nights will you be there?

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Pinchme_iam_dreaming

For us the top five would be.

1, Strolling down the Champs Elysees at night. (From the Monoprix store after buying wine and Grapes) to Jardin des Tuilleries. With a stop at the little park of the Palais de Elysees, to drink wine and people watch under the stars.

2, the museums, especially... Musee d'Orsay and the Musee Rodin

3, Listening to the street performers
around Paris on Sundays... Especially the Jazz bands.

4, The inexpensive foods around Saint Michel and in the latin quarter

5, Everything else about Paris.

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 09:17 AM

1) Breakfast at "our" cafe
2) Sitting in the court yard at the Louvre late at night with the fountains on
3) The bread, wine & cheese
4) The macarons
5) The small shops who really care for (and are proud of) their stores, merchandise and displays - so refreshing from our big box discount stores.

Thanks alot for starting this post, now I REALLY want to get back there!
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Pinchme_iam_dreaming

We're going back for our 3rd visit. Sept 12 to the 18th. We can't hardly wait.

Old Feb 16th, 2008, 09:52 AM

In no particular order:

-baguette
-cheese
-wine
-markets
-cafes
-people speaking at a normal level rather than yelling/bar music not blaring.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM

"Grand" was my overall word for Paris - the buildings, the food, the personalities, the smells, all grand.

Top 5 Pleasures:
1. Chocolate Elcairs
1a. Cafe Eclairs
2. The Place around the Louvre - the sheer size and combination of class & modern. I'm sure the treasures inside are wonderful as well, but I skipped them.
3. The leisurely pace of meals & professionalism of waitstaff.
4. The Islands - get away from Notre Dame & just wander. I bought great (unexpected) purchases of liquid chocolate, & three types of honey.
5. Versailles - in 4 hours we barely scratched the surface and we thought we were going for 'just a quick look'.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM

I'm working right now (on my day off!) but I wanted to mention how I love the way food merchants package the goodies and decorate the windows... I almost can't eat a pastry that has been wrapped in pretty paper, with a little bow or sticker to keep it together.

Last time, we walked by a boulangerie somewhere near Jacquemart-Andree that had a lot of small breads in the shape of the Eiffel Tower in their window.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:23 AM

1. The Latin Quarter

2. An after dark boat ride on the Seine from Pont Neuf.

3. View of the Eiffel Tower from the Trocadero --- even better if you are sipping wine from the restaurant located there, but the name escapes me.

4. Moring coffee at your favorite cafe.

5. The small park/promenade in front of Notre Dame --- delightful.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:45 AM

1. La Duree macaroons
2. Twinkling Eiffel Tower
3. Musee D'Orsay
4. any other French dessert, even if it's not exclusively French.
5. Champs Elysee (at night)

(But I haven't been twice.)
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM

1. Eiffel Tower - I know everyone has said to see it at night or sunset, which is when it really seems magical, but I love looking at it any time of the day! Morning, afternoon, night - I really cannot get enough of seeing it all around Paris. The best part is seeing it when you don't expect to! We were just leaving the louvre, and I was taking a picture of the glass pyramid, when I just sort of happened to turn around and, BOOM, there it was! I literally gasped with pleasure as I wasn't expecting on seeing it, and I had a ridiculous smile plastered on my face from seeing it!

2. The Food - crepes, different pastries, the bread, loads of different sandwiches at the boulangeries, fabulous ice cream...all amazing!

3. Wandering the streets - like most people who recommended it here, you really do need to walk as much as you can around Paris. You miss out so much if you just travel on the metro all the time.

4. Ile Saint Louis - we got to stay on the Island, and I loved how everything you needed was already there! Early morning or late evenings were great as you really could feel like a local.

5. The Bridges - don't know why, but the bridges in Paris just seem so essential for the "feel" of Paris. Walk over as many as you can, and pick your favorite one! I loved any where I could see my #1
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:23 PM

What a gorgeous post. Thank you seetheworld! We are returning to Paris - June 8 - 18 and I counting the days!! We will be in an apartment in the 5th and I agree with Tpayt re the morning pastry run from your apartment. It was such a thrill each morning that I had to pinch myself.

I endorse everything that has been said and have picked up a few ideas for our trip.

Thanks again and I hope the post doesn't stop here!! Cathie
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM

1. St. Chappelle
2. Walking beside the river and looking at the different bridges
3. Musee Jacquemart-Andre
4. The Cluny Museum
5. Laduree macarons; Berthillon ice cream; creme brulee; Nutella crepes; Cacao et Chocolat creams;

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -