Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Significant changes to London Transport fare structures....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that absolutely no one understands TfL's fare structure but here is what will be happening in the new year: Note the withdrawal of child travel cards, three day travel cards and one day paper bus passes in particular>>>

The £1 offpeak Travelcard for a Child accompanying an Adult Travelcard holder will be withdrawn.

The 3-day Travelcard will be withdrawn.

The price of a Seven-day 2-Zones Travelcard that excludes Zone 1 rises from £16.60 to £19.00.

Oyster Single fares change. Most are up by about 20p.

Going forward, fares will be based on roughly RPI + 2%.

11/15 year old Children with Oyster photocards see their rail fares increase from 55p to 65p.

New Deal Card holders will no longer be entitled to child rate travelcards.

The DLR Short Hop ticket will be withdrawn.

The Short Hop ticket will also be withdrawn from all Overground services.

The price of an Oyster Bus Single goes up from £1.00 to £1.20, and the daily Oyster price cap increases from £3.30 to £3.90.

A Seven Day Bus & Tram pass increases from £13.80 to £16.60. Paper One Day passes will be completely withdrawn.

The Congestion Charge increases from £8 to £10.

The Victoria Station Upgrade slips to post-2018.

Step Free Access provision at Osterley, Greenford, West Kensington, Amersham, Ladbroke Grove and Newbury Park will be delayed indefinitely.

There will be service level cuts to bus services and Outer London Off-Peak Tube services.

So there you go. Just when you though you'd got the hang of it.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM

J.C! Scuse my French.....
Should I even try to sort this one out before travelling there with our family of 4?
Read my experience with trying to book a TGV from here in Australia. You'll laugh....Think I'm turning into one of 'those' from the motherland.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 04:57 AM

PS: We're definately going to visit The Cinnamon Tree when we're over for a meal - it sounds like a good feed! Address please?
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Surely "Step Free Access provision at Osterley, Greenford, West Kensington, Amersham, Ladbroke Grove and Newbury Park will be delayed indefinitely" is against the law?
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM

bilboburgler - most of the tube stations do not have step free access. Only 56 currently do.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-guide-map.pdf

The tube was built about a hundred years ago and they have to retro fit most of it.

It must be very difficult for people with disabilities or walking problems to get around London on the tube.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

We're definitely going to visit The Cinnamon Tree when we're over for a meal - it sounds like a good feed!>>>

Only go if you're already in Blackheath or Greenwich. It's nice but I wouldn't recommend schlepping out to Blackheath for it. Blackheath's nice though. Go sightseeing in Greenwich and eat and drink in Blackheath.

I think it's in tranquil Grove butt you can't miss it - Blackheath basically only has two streets. It's in the one to the left as you walk up from the station towards the church.

>>>>>>>>>Surely "Step Free Access provision at Osterley, Greenford, West Kensington, Amersham, Ladbroke Grove and Newbury Park will be delayed indefinitely" is against the law?>>>>>>>>

Nope. The Disability Discrimination Act merely requires that "reasonable steps" (sic) are taken. It doesn't demand the rebuilding of something a century old.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 07:40 AM

bilboburgler - most of the tube stations do not have step free access. Only 56 currently do>

the tiny folding Tube maps have symbols to show which of the zillions of Tube stations are wheelchair, etc. accessible and yes it is shockingly to me a tiny % - but as jamikins tells these are old stations in often congested areas so it is not easy to make them all accessible thought TfL has done a sterling effort so far and in plans
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Fare changes - okay, I'll never visit London again NOT.
If they were hoping to keep me away by confusing me so much, they have failed. I will just post endless questions right here and count on our Fodor experts for advice.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM

The most important change is the one about the withdrawal of the £1 per day child travelcards. This will mean that people will have to organise the "regular" child travelcard in advance as a photocard is needed
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 06:49 AM

The most important change is the one about the withdrawal of the £1 per day child travelcards. This will mean that people will have to organise the "regular" child travelcard in advance as a photocard is needed>

alan - and this is progress? Baffling for sure - perhaps too much chicanery going on about ages?