Sightseeing from Reading, UK?

Jan 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Sightseeing from Reading, UK?

I have a business trip NEXT WEEK to Reading, UK (outside of London past Windsor). I will have one day only to do some sightseeing, and I am considering spending the day in Windsor or Oxford, or trying to see Stonehenge. I don't want to rent a car. Is it possible to do Stonehenge by public transportation or a tour bus from Reading? Or would you recommend Windsor Castle or Oxford, which can be easily reached by train from Windsor? I am into castles, ancient history, old stone buildings, etc. And I don't mind a lot of walking. Any suggestions?
Jan 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM

From Reading to Oxford is a short(less then 30 minutes) and frequent train ride. From Reading to Stonehenge, you could take train(1 change, less than 1 /12 hour) to Salisbury, then take bus from Salisbury Trains tation to Stonebenge, and don't miss Salisbury Cathedral either. For train schedule, please check: www.thetrainline.co.uk.
Jan 27th, 2009, 11:20 PM

Do be aware that Stonehenge closes at 1600 at present, but that the last bus back to Salisbury leaves at 1540. Buses this month from Salisbury station are every hour from 1000 to 1400, taking 33 mins. www.thestonehengetour.info/times.shtml

Allowing for time waiting for the bus, Stonehenge is about 2.5 hrs from Reading. You need a bit of tight planning even to allow time for seeing Salisbury Cathedral (far more impressive viusually than Stonehenge, IMHO) at this time of the year.

Given the tons of stuff in Oxford, and the speed and frequency of trains from Reading, you might find your time better spent there
Jan 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

What do you recommend seeing in Oxford? Thanks.