Siena v. extra day in Florence

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Siena v. extra day in Florence

Hi. I'm going on a tour to Italy in Oct. The itinerary shows 2 full days in Florence, with an optional 1/2 day excursion to Siena (as part of the 2nd day).

A friend told me Siena is "nice", but not a must see at the expense of extra time in Florence. Rick Steves' book describes many people claiming they LOVE Siena.

What are your thoughts? Which would you choose and why? (FYI Day 1 in Florence includes David, Giotto's Bell Tower, Duomo). I definitely want to see the Pitti Palace and Bobili Gardens, so that would have be on Day 2. Siena is an "optional 1/2 day excursion", but I know that tours can sometimes "run late", and I'd hate to run late in Siena to miss these. What I've researched so far leaves me underwhelmed with Siena, but I've never been there!)
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM

While some specific art and a few sites in Florence do overwhelm me, the city as a whole leaves me totally cold. I'm not usually one to put down things as being too touristy, but I've never felt that Florence itself was anything other than a tourist mecca for the treasures it offers. I never feel that the main part of the city itself is a real, working, breathing, living city. On the other hand, Siena is just the opposite. There I feel I'm in the minority not the majority as a tourist.
If your main goal is to check off the wonderful things you must see (and there really isn't anything wrong with that), then your time might be better spent in Florence, but if you want to see a real city and also enjoy seeing the Palio (a wonderful slanted city "square&quot and a gorgeous "striped" cathedral, then spend that half day in Siena.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM

Hi Karens
I agree with Patrick. I would opt for Siena also. Florence is beautiful, and The Academia is fabulous. However, to me Siena is much more like what I had pictured a small Italian town to be. A lot of atmosphere. Don't miss it.
shrink
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:06 PM

I ditto Parick...Absolutely!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM

My going was also based on what Rick Steves' said. No, I did not LOVE Siena, however, no one should miss that cathedral!! I've never seen so much intricate marble work.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:26 PM

That's a tough one. Siena is a lovely town, but unless it really knocks your socks off you might end up feeling like you didn't have enought time to savor Florence. (That said, I'm with Patrick regarding Florence in general.) Where else are you going in Italy? That might inform your choice. That is, if you're going to a lot of smaller towns, perhaps you could skip Siena. To get a flavor for Siena, you might want to rent the movie My House in Umbria. It was produced for HBO, based on a William Trevor novella. I didn't love the movie myself, but I seem to recall some beautiful scenes shot in Siena.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I'll be the lone dissenter. Siena was very disappointing for me. Although the intricate architecture of the duomo is unbelievable, I could have done without the crowds on market day, the grittiness of the city around the university area, and the mediocre food ( OK, maybe we picked the wrong spot). On the other hand, I really enjoyed Florence. And believe me, with two teenagers in tow, it had less to do with seeing all the amazing artwork, than taking a wrong turn and befriending a young store owner whose handmade pocketbooks were each museum quality. Also, we spent a gorgeous afternoon in Fiesole, a suburb about 25 min by bus from Florence. The exceptional views on the way up to Fiesole were definitely worth the trip, as was the excellent gelato near the main square!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:15 PM
wsz

We just returned from Italy and did do a 1/2 day in Siena and a 1/2 day in San Gimignano. We were disappointed in Siena but loved San Gimignano. Siena to us was just a smaller Florence while San Gimignano was very quaint and charming. You might consider going there instead. There are busses that leave from Florence dailly.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:18 PM

We loved Siena. It is different from other towns in the area -- the buildings are all made from the same stone so it seems all of one piece; the sloped Palio is impressive; cathedral is awesome, both inside and outside; the bell tower gives a great view; the lunch can be wonderful; all in all, well worth your half-day trip. (On the other hand, a few tourists we talked to in other cities did not like Siena. Not sure why...) Florence is not my favorite place, after two visits there. Wonderful museums, but it's crowded, noisy, and dirty. You'll be there in October so it shouldn't be so hot and humid as it is in the summer. Boboli Gardens are a highlight, so do try not to miss them. My vote? Take the optional excursion.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:38 PM
ira

Hi K,

A 1/2 day in Siena is cutting it short. You will be also cutting Florence short.

I'd save Siena for your next visit.

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 02:49 PM

It is likely that on a half-day tour, with slow traffic in and out of Florence, your time in Siena will likely be 2- 21/2 hours at most. I love Siena, but I don't think that is the best use of your limited time.
If you tire of Florence (and there IS a lot to see if you enjoy the art), you can always take a 20 minute bus ride to Fiesole.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:06 PM

I think Siena deserves an overnite to be appreciated.(It's interesting to compare it's cathedral with Orvieto if you have a chance.) Plus.. with only two days in Florence and so much to see there I don't think you'd do either justice.
I thought the slanted piazza where the Palio takes place was called the Campo??
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Ooops. So true -- Campo it is. But is so famous as the site of the Palio.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do try an overnight in Siena.After the crowds leave dine al fresco at the piazza del campo and then wander the narrow streets after dark, the closest I've ever felt to being in the mddle ages.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM

agree with overnight to be appreciated - personally - I'd forgo Florence and just stay in Siena..
unfortunately San Gimignano is overrun too now
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:46 PM

Much as I love Siena, if this is your first time in Florence and you're on one of those busy tours, I think I'd stay put in Florence. It is so easy to get overwhelmed going from place to place and you'd get to see very little of either city. You have already indicated your have other places you wish to see in Florence and don't have a great yearning to visit Siena so I'd go with your preferences (it is your trip, after all!)
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 06:54 PM

I loved Siena, but this time I felt that Florence was just TOO overrun with tourists to really enjoy. Yes, the art is great, but Siena had such a overall magic, and the restaurants were amazing. Of course, part of that might have been due to the fact that my daughter is a student at the University and really was able to show us some places and things that are "off the beaten trail," but I'd agree with Grandma and say it's certainly worth at least an overnight.

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:40 PM

This was our third visit to Siena and we are still in love with it. We had an apartment that overlooked the Campo. A couple of nights it was pretty noisy, but we didn't mind because it is such a special place. Florence is wonderful but you shouldn't miss Siena
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:48 PM

i had three days in florence and took a full day trip to siena and san giminiano-i thought tuscany was beautiful and definitley worth the trip-i love florence, and am an art lover which is why i valued my extra time there-the palazzo pitti is worth seeing-but unless you're planning on spending hours in the museums a 1/2 day trip to siena is worth your while-enjoy!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:36 AM

I'd try to do both for the contrast between the two if nothing else. However, if you think Florence is jammed with tourists you could end up feeling the same way in Siena given its smaller space.

But going to either of these places and allowing yourself to be distracted by the number of other people (just like you!!!) who are there is unfortunate and to be avoided if possible.

I don't think it needs an overnight to be appreciated, especially if you can spend a long day there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -