Search

Siena to Pisa

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2001, 06:58 AM
Katherine

Siena to Pisa

Does anyone know how long the drive is from Siena to Pisa? Also what is the quickest route? My maps make it look like there is no direct highway. Thanks. <BR>Katherine

Old May 23rd, 2001, 07:34 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Kate, There are 2 routes. The fastest is the superstrada to Florence and then A-11---about 2:30. The scenic route is to exit on S-68 near Colle and take it west to Volterra--be sure to stop at this wonderful hill town--and then connect with A-12 north. That would take at least an hour longer on the road, but is a wonderful drive.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 07:46 AM
Paulo

The fastest route from Siena to Pisa should be by taking the superstrada ( north to Florence, driving shortly on A1 and taking SS67 west. This would total some 150km and under normal traffic may be driven in 1½ hours. <BR> <BR>On alternate way would be to leave the Superstrada in Poggibonsi and to take SS429 (through Certaldo and Castelfiorentino, hitting SS67 in Empoli). This would chop off some 30km and the driving time would be about the same (SS429 is a narrow windier road - average speed around 65km/h)). <BR> <BR>In your shoes I'd ellect tyhe 2nd route. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old May 23rd, 2001, 08:13 AM
Katherine

Thank you both. It's hard to believe there are such large differences in driving times due to the type of road you select. I'm sure I'll understand it when I finally see it.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 09:15 AM
Sherry

I second Bob's suggestion of the stop in Volterra. Also Katherine, allow more time then you think. You just cannot depend on driving speeds unless you are on the superstrada. But you are on vacation in ITaly! Take your time. I drove the route Paulo suggested and it was very easy. Once you are there, it isn't as complicated as the maps made it seem, I thought.