Siena - staying in or outside walls

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:55 AM
ben

Siena - staying in or outside walls

We will go to Siena for three days, and use it as a base in Tuscany. We already decided to stay in Siena (as opposed to elsewhere such as San G). What is your opinion about staying inside or outside the walls?

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Wayne

If your purpose is to be as close as possible to the center of town, stay at one of the places inside the walls. There are also several places to stay just outside the walls. If you are driving a car, staying just outside is usually easier unless your hotel can arrange inside parking.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Doug Weller

We stayed inside and parked our car on one of the lower streets not far from the hotel. We were told it would be safe and it was.

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Betsy

I've only stayed withing the walls. In towns where cars are prohibited or where there is a walled center, I think staying within the non-auto, town center lets you see the town after the day trippers have left. I found that especially true of Siena.

Old May 5th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Mike B

The choice is an easy one. I've stayed twice within Siena's walls and will again in Spring of 2003. Outside the walls Siena is "just" another scenic Italian town. Within...it's truly magical! Parking the car in one of the convenient parking garages is no challenge.

Old May 5th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Nels

topping