Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bruges-Trier (Saarburg) -Alsace-Vezelay-Calais

May 4th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Doug Weller

We're planning to spend a week in a gite in Riquewihr at the end of July. We were thinking of taking the tunnel from the UK to Calais, spending the first night in Bruges, 2nd night in Trier or Saarburg, the week in Riquewihr, then 2 nights getting back to Calais with a stop in the Veselay area and somewhere else. Any suggestions on this itinerary?
Any suggestions where to stay in Trier or Saarburg and on the way back? The gites is expensive (when I said there would be only two of us the owner almost tried to persuade us not to take it because it is priced for 6!) so we don't want to spend much money on hotels.
Thanks.
Doug

May 4th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Doug Weller

I should have said we are definitely staying in the Campanile in Bruges, so we dont need any help with that.
Cheap eating place advice also welcome for any of these areas.
Thanks.

May 5th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Doug Weller

We have just found a marvelous B&B near Giverny and Helen can see Monet's garden! Run by a French American family.
Still looking for something in the Dijon/Burgundy area and Saarburg near Trier. And advice on things to do/see in all the areas we'll be in.

Doug

May 5th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Ismael

In Trier, I'd recommend the Petrisberg Hotel, on a hill with a lovely view of the city.
We spend a memorable time there. The management is very helpful. I remember of a brewery down the hill with good beer and food.
In Vezelay and around it there are wonderful "logis de France" small hotels.
I've just came back from a wonderful trip to France.
Enjoy your trip

Ismael

May 5th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Doug Weller

Thanks Ismael, but that's really too expensive, which is one reason why we are looking just outside Trier.

Doug

May 5th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Russ

For Trier, a peek at my Rick Steves guide suggests two centrally located places - The Frankenturm, with a German-language website and double rooms between 90 and 160 MARKS, or maybe 45-80 Euros, if prices haven't risen much; some rooms have WC/shower down the hall.

http://www.hotel-frankenturm.de/ho_re.htm

The other is the "Zum Christophel", with an English option at its website:
http://www.zumchristophel.de

You'd do well to contact the Trier tourist information office for other inexpensive pension/B&B options:

e-mail: [email protected]
The town website probably has telephone contact numbers as well: www.trier.de

May 5th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Russ

The Trier website mentioned above actually lists a good number of options in the budget category: go to accommodations, then guest-houses. At the bottom are several private B&B's (the ones with just a name and no link to a website) - the cheapest, usually. I'd call the tourist office and ask about location and prices - they can probably book the room for you as well.