Reload this Page >

Siena Restaurant: Cane e Gato - the best meal of my life

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 02:35 PM
julie

My fiancee and I returned 2 weeks ago from an 8 day trip through Italy and I would HIGHLY recommend anyone staying in Siena eat at this restaurant. We lost our guidebook so i don't have a phone number but i know in previous postings on this board it is listed. I actually heard about it from raves from other people and it FAR exceeded all my expectations. It is small (seats 20 people) and was only half full when we were there, but I understand in the high season reservations are a must. There is no menu; Paulo and his wife have a somewhat variable menu that they just cook and keep bringing you food!! It ended up being about 7 courses and was heavenly. We arrived at 8 and wouldn't have left before 11;30 had we not stayed at the Alma Domus which has a curfew at that time. It was also the most romantic restaurant, and Paulo's service is perfection. Great part: all that for only $65 a person. I would have paid double that. We liked it so much we went 2 nights. I am gushing now but wanted to share this marvelous experience.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 02:56 PM
kam

Cane e Gatto is at V. Pagliarese 6, tel (0577) 287545. It's one of our favorites as well. Open only for dinner and closed Thursday. Another favorite although not on the same scale is Taverna Nello, V. dei Pellegrini 28 (0577) 289043. It's closed Sundays. It's very close to the Campo and has outdoor seating.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Buyer

Sounds delish... but please tell me they aren't SERVING "Dogs and Cats!" <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to add my two cents. I found this restaurant rec on this board, and decided I deserved a splurge.<BR><BR>This restaurant was the place to do it! It was heavenly. I actually stopped by to make a reservation, since it seemed from this board that it is a hard ticket to get, but when I walked in, it was empty. Only four tables ended up getting filled that night...the joys of off-peak season.<BR><BR>I dined alone, but was treated to wonderful hospitality (not something you find all the time). As mentioned, it is a 6 course meal, and I had more wine than I should have, plus grappa. I didn't hold back, and the cost was 80 euro. The most expensive meal of my trip, but well worth it. Once again, this board came through for me. Add my thumbs up to this restaurant!<BR><BR>If you'd like to fax a reservation, the number is 0577 333 916 <BR>
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:41 AM
Maira

I don't know if I would eat in any restaurant called &quot;Dogs and Cats&quot;...... (kinda of kidding, kinda of serious)

Old Mar 16th, 2003, 04:37 AM
RAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually it's &quot;Dog and Cat&quot; .. for some reason it reminds me of how they name English pubs. Anyway I've never seen a bad review of this place.