Siena or San Quirico 'D Orcia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Tuscany Area Thursday night through Monday night and then we move on to Venice. I have a room booked in Siena for Thursday and Friday night. Would it be better and more interesting to move on to San Quirico d' Orcia for Saturday and Sunday night and then back to Florence for Monday or should we just stay in Siena (at a different hotel because the one we have booked is sold old for Saturday and Sunday).

Your help is greatly appreciated. We want to do some wine tasting so if that info is helpful to all who are reading this post.

Thanks

Karen
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM

What about something in or near Montalcino?

At the Enoteca della Fortezza in Montalcino you can taste the wines of the region, and as far as I can see, it's open until September 30 every day from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (But in Italy it's always wise to check...)

For wine tastings at vineyards, you have to make appointments in advance, and I don't know whether they are prepared to offer them on weekends.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM

I would move on to San Quirico to get a tast of the "perfect" small medieval village. Siena will be a little dead on a Sunday, so that's the perfect time to explore my favorite area of Italy - the Val d'Orcia.

Most stores will be open in Pienza - just east of San Q.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM

>>Most stores will be open in Pienza - just east of San Q.<<

I should have said that most stores will be open on Sunday in Pienza. Most will be closed in Montalcino & Montepulciano.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Stu about St. Quirico. Palazzo del Capitano is an incredible, reasonably priced hotel in St. Quirico d'Orcia. Below is blog that has some pictures of the hotel and the town, which is a great base to see the area.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.typepad.com/travels/

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

We were in Montipulciano and Pienza on a Sunday and most shops were open for business. My vote would be be to move to San Quirico...it is a charming town and lovely area of Tuscany. I take that back...lovely will not do....it has some of the most stunning scenery I have ever experienced.