Search

Side trips from Riva, Lake Garda

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side trips from Riva, Lake Garda

I will be in Riva for 10 days in May.
Although there appears to be a variety of coach trips available, I would prefer to hire a car and plan my own itinerary. It would help me a great deal if anyone could recommend any scenic routes I could take from my base, preferably into the mountains. I don't plan to stay eleswhere overnight, so distances would have to be covered in one day. Many thanks!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:27 AM
rex

Trento, absolutely. Also a good choice: Bassano del Grappa. Of course, Verona, as well.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Go to www.initaly.com and see the articles about Trentino. There is a castle route just north of Riva that we have done, and also a great wine road that ends at Appiano near Bolzano. The Veneto venues may be too far.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM

There are several lovely villages right on the lake. Malcesine is my favorite. But for other small villages, you might try going north from Riva to Arco, then on to Contano Terme, Ponte Arche, and Contana di Trento. From there go north to Madonna di Campiglio. This is one heck of a wonderfully scenic route. Good luck.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM

If you have some interest in archaeology - and maybe even if you don't - you can take a very nice short drive to Lago di Ledro, in the mountains just west of Riva. The western shore of the lake was the site of a prehistoric community of lake dwellers. The site has been explored and there is a smallish but very well done museum there. Aside from that, the drive is interesting, climbing through a series of long tunnels that eventually open out into the very picturesque valley and crystal-clear lake. You can do the whole thing, including the museum, in just a few hours.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM
rex

Bringing your message back up "to the top" since it's your first day (posting) here ever... (how did I know that? click on your name - - an important tip that Fodors fails to mention to new registrants when it sounds out that confirmatory e-mail to you).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Dudraig - A tour of the 'Brenta Dolomites' - as suggested by Wayne - makes a wonderful day-trip. You can do the full circuit to include Madonna di Campiglio and Molveno.

You could do another trip to include the spectacular 'Sella Ronda' circuit in the main Dolomites. You can access this area via the Val di Fassa or Val Gardena.
Don't miss the *Sass Pordoi* cable car ride (- from the Pordoi Pass) - awesome.

The Alpe di Siusi is another beautiful area - especially in spring. You can access it by cable car from Siusi or by car from Castelrotto (- well worth a visit). You could combine this with the Val d'Ega/ Carezza area for more fine views (Catinaccio, Latemar etc) - and/or with Bolzano for a visit to the Ice Man.

Hope this helps ...

Steve