Reload this Page >

Side trips around Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 03:09 PM
Jason

I have the last week in July to spend in and around Barcelona and I have no idea what to do. I'm not really into art that much, I would prefer scenic drives or romantic castles/cathedrals. I'll be with my new wife (on our honeymoon) and we'll have a resort to stay at for a week (in Tarragona) and a rental car. Any advice would be welcome. <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 1999, 03:18 PM
ilisa

You should definitely visit Montserrat. It is a beautiful monastery on top of a mountain near Barcelona. The view from there is stunning. I took a day trip which combined Montserrat with a visit to a winery, organized through my hotel, but Montserrat is not a long drive from Barcelona if you want to do it yourself.

Old Jun 28th, 1999, 07:18 AM
Bob

Despite not being into art, I will suggest an art museum, that of Salvidor Dali in Figueras, a bit north of Barcelona. It is unlike any other art museum - fascinating, and downright strange at times, but never boring! Even the outside offers quite a view. Also, taking the coastal road north towards Perpignan, offers great views on winding roads which never stop winding.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 12:12 PM
Rain

I agree with the above 2 posts! Definitely visit Monserrat and the Dali museum in Figueres! Monserrat is simply bretahtaking- high in the mts and a gorgeous view. Also- take the time while at the monastary to see and touch the Black Virgin up close- don;t forget to glance left and look at the place from that viewpoint! The Dali Museum is so much fun! Fyi, the artist himself is buried on the lowest level. The exibits are kind of interactive, so it's not all about art for art's sake. <BR> <BR>Another possibility- the beaches on the coast. We went to Tosa del Mar, took the boat to another beach (if i could only remember the name!) where there was this lovely castle and this quaint restaurant... <BR> <BR>IN barecelona- try guell parc. designed by gaudi. see the fountains- there is a light show every night and the palace is pretty when illuminated. <BR> <BR>Have a good time! Spain is wonderful!

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Elsa

Does anyone know if you can take a bus or train to Montserrat, and how long a ride on either it would be from Barcelona? Thanks.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 02:32 PM
ilisa

One thing about the Black Virgin at Montserrat. They say that if a woman touches the ball in her hand, she will be pregnant within 9 months. Now, I'm not Catholic, but it worked for me!!