Side trip to Orvieto

Mar 20th, 2002, 11:43 AM
amy

Side trip to Orvieto

My husband and I were origianlly planning to take the train from Rome to Florence. But I've been hearing good things about Orvieto. How far is it from either Rome or Florence? Could we take a train from Rome to there and then a train to Florence?

I'm sure our best bet would be to stay overnight ... but we are a little crunched for time. Would it be possible to train it there from Rome and then on to Florence in one day ... or is it way too much time on the train?

Also, what do those of you who've been and loved it ... love about it so much?

Thanks!

Mar 20th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Nutella

Orvieto is about an hour by train from Rome. There will be some connections involved to get to Florence, so it's not quick. Have you been to Italy before, and what is the rest of your itinerary? If you are only sticking to the big cities, I think you will enjoy visiting a "hill town" such as Orvieto, just for the contrast and to get a different view of Italy. If you are planning to be in Florence for a while, you can do a day trip to San Gimignano from there.

Mar 20th, 2002, 11:56 AM
pam

Amy,
Orvieto is a terrific break between Rome and Florence. It's quiet and calm and relatively uncrowded. I'd definitely recommend spending the night, because then you get to enjoy it after any tour buses leave in the afternoon and before they arrive in the morning. (We found that entrance to the Capella Nuova, with the Signorelli fresco cycle, in the Duomo is free before 9 or 10am.... I look at that as Orvieto's little 'thank you' to those who spend the night.)

We stayed at the Hotel Virgilio, having arrived without reservations. Be sure to ask for a room on the piazza if you stay there--the other side faces the street that leaves off the hill and it was loud at night. Feel free to email me directly.

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:00 PM
pam

In response to Nutella's comment:
We took the train from Rome to Orvieto one morning, spent the night and next morning in Orvieto, then took a train directly to Florence. While the train _did_ make stops, we did not have to transfer. (On the next trip I took the ES from Rome to Florence and we whizzed by Orvieto on a different track.)

Mar 20th, 2002, 12:21 PM
amy

Hey, thanks for the quick replies!

Pam, Orvieto does sound delightful, and it's good to know that we could go on to Florence from there.

Nutella ... we are beginning with 3 nights in Positano, then 3 nights in Rome, 3 in Florence and 2 in Venice.

So ... besides Positano, I did want to see a little bit of "small town" life.

I was also considering doing some kind of day trip out of Florence. We'd love to visit some wineries ... and I've also heard good things about San G.

I'm just not sure what the best way to do such a day trip would be. Do we rent a car? And if so, how can we find some hidden, unique little wineries, etc? I've looked into one private tour of the area, but it would be fairly expensive ... and I've also looked into a small group tour 6-12 people ... but it's only 4 hours, and I'm afraid that won't be enough to see much.

What are your thoughts?