Reload this Page >

Canals or garden views

Search

Canals or garden views

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:16 PM
t

Canals or garden views

Planning a trip to Venice soon this mid-April or summer and just wondering from any of your experiences, which view would be best. I'm tending to go for the canal views, if even possible, but wondered how noisy it can be? Do gondolas sail by all night? Do the gondoliers really sing those beautiful italian songs? Does one have to pay extra to have them sing, or do they just sing because they love to? Gardens must be wonderful, also. But, wouldn't one normally want to see the canals and water out their windows since they are in Venice? Just wondering? Thanks.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 08:31 PM
t

I just want this to be the best trip ever and am very excited about actually being able to visit Venice, a dream I've had for a very long time. We go standby on the airlines, so probably we will only be able to make reservations the day we arrive in Venice. Also, we are probably only going to be able to spend no more than $100 per night. So, I'm just trying to get as much info. as I can before we go. Thanks.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Vita

A canal view would be best for me (I'm not even aware of a hotel in Venice with a garden - someone will correct me, no doubt). The noise and bustle should be part of the experience (and there are some very quiet canals). But I understand that rooms with a canal view can be significantly more expensive than other rooms.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Sue

We had a "canal" view in Venice and our room overlooked what was the equivalent of a service alley. It was narrow and used for deliveries mostly. No traffic except in the early morning but who needs to sleep in when you are in the most magical place on earth?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:52 AM
elaine

Hi<BR>There is the Grand Canal, and then there are small canals. Some small canals are charming, overhung with flower-filled window boxes, some are less attractive with old boats tied up and covered with pink or blue plastic.<BR>Gondolas ply some of the canals, usually the wider ones because they are easier, but if you take a ride you can request a route and it may be complied with.<BR>Sorry to spoil the romance, but gondoliering is a tourist-oriented business. It would be nice to think about joyful gondoliers spontaneously pouring their hearts out in song, but most of them have their eyes on their watches looking to see when your 45 minutes will be over. It doesn't mean you won't enjoy it, it is certainly unique to Venice, but there are so many other things that are unique to Venice and they don't have to cost much.<BR>If you are on a budget, please be advised that gondola rides can be very expensive, and if the gondolier is wearing a striped shirt and is singing, that usually costs extra.<BR>Whether or not you have a canal view, you will see many canals in Venice all day long.<BR>If you're going in mid-April, I hope you've looked into hotels because the budget-minded ones fill up months in advance.<BR>Good luck

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Tess

It's not the gondoliers singing 'O Sole Mio' that's noisy. Rather the majority of boats traversing the Grand Canal is motorized traffic. There are speed limits. You can't whizz down the GC hauling a water skier behind you! The vaparettos (Venice's version of city bus) travels up/down GC. And during early morning hours, starting around 5 am the delivery boats are running bringing in their goods to the city. It can be an interesting experience to see a boatload of food items or ordinary household goods going down the GC. They even have a "fire engine" boat (it IS allowed to speed).<BR><BR>Due to your standby status and hotel budgetary restrictions, you may not be able to get a room on the GC. They tend to book up far ahead. One possibility is Hotel Galleria. It's a small well-located hotel. On the GC right near the Accademia bridge & vaparetto stop (it's on the Dorsoduro side of the canal). Only has 10 tens & probably is already booked. Yet, a last minute cancellation may afford you the opportunity you're seeking. As to price, it may be a few dollars above your $100 budget --- as far as I know it's the cheapest accommadations on the GC. <BR><BR>If there's a choice in your travel time, you have greater odds of being able to snag a decent last minute room during mid-April than during the summertime.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 12:22 PM
bruce

We stayed at the Hotel Caneva last November for 5 nights. It's on a much travelled smaller canal. 150,000 lire by credit card. 130,000 lire cash. That's closer to $50 USD. Self serve petit dejeuner. 17 of 23 rooms are on the canal. We were in room #34. The gondolas slid by silently all evening. Only once we heard singing, but it was November. It made an already magical visit more magical. "Arrivaderci Roma" was the tune. Like all of Venice, the Caneva is worn around the edges, but perfectly adequate. Clean and great location. It's 3 minutes from the Rialto Bridge. Fax 0039 041 5208676 or search google.