side trip to calitri, italy

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
side trip to calitri, italy

we will be in rome in early october and would take a side trip to my fathers hometown, calitri. it seems to be about 11/2 hours south of naples. would it be best to rent a car and drive, take the train to naples then drive or use public transport, or hire a car from naples. any advice would be appreciated. also, i was only able to find one two room hotel and it was unavailable, any suggestions?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM

kenc: an interesting dilemma.

On the mapping site I tried, it seemed that Calitri was just a bit over two hours from Naples.

Directions on Google Maps (the site I used above) says that Salerno is 1 hour, 39 minutes from Calitri.

You might want to take the train from Rome to Salerno, which would be so much easier to drive out of than Naples. I wouldn't want to drive anywhere near Naples, and the train station there is very central, so you would have to make your way out of town.

Then you could rent a car from Salerno. Salerno isn't gorgeous, but it is a good spot for transportation and trains. It isn't horrible either; there is a very nice passeggiata in the evenings, down the main, shop-lined thoroughfare.

Salerno also has transport to Capri and Amalfi town.

Conza della Campania seems to be resort-ish, on a lake, pretty close to Calitri, and probably has more accommodations. You are talking about an area with some very small towns and not a lot of tourists (I think).
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

tuscanlifeedit, thank you for the advice, salerno seems like the way to go. i will be taking the train from venice to florence, florence to rome, and i will add rome to salerno and back. can i book my trains when i am in each city or would this be problematic? thanks again. kenc
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:11 PM

kenc: one great thing in Italy is that any travel agency that displays the Trenitalia logo in its window will sell you tickets for all your trains.

If you have an extra bit of time in Venice, ask at your hotel for the nearest agency that does so, and just go and buy all your tickets at one time. That's what we do.

If you can't get to an agency, go to the train station (sometimes there are long lines at the ticket windows) and get all the tickets.

Those are all busy routes, so I think I would buy all my tickets when I got to Venice.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

tuscanlifeedit; thanks once again, i will buy all my tickets in venice as suggested.