Travel from Rome to Sorrento and then to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for confirmation of what I "think" I've learned...

We are arriving in Rome on 6/5 and want to go straight to Rome. From what I've gathered and researched... I can take a train from FCO (the AE Train) to Roma Termini and from there a train to Napoli.

Is this correct? Should I buy tickets ahead of time?

From Napoli to Sorrento, we thought it would be nice to take a boat - but I have not found information about getting from Napoli to the harbor, I assume a taxi? Is the boat a good idea or should we just take the Circumvesuviana?

Thanks -
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

I meant to also ask... from Sorrento we want to go to Venice (Venezia S. Lucia). Since we have to go back to Napoli I figured I would take Trenitalia and go their via Rome.

Does that make sense?
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 01:56 AM

The train is the best way to get from Naples to Venice. There are two companies that serve that route:

Trenitalia http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or
Italo http://www.italotreno.it/en

Italo is often cheaper. If you buy in advance, you can save considerably. However, make sure you plan on getting to Naples well ahead of the departure time, because the discounted tickets are absolutely inflexible.

For this reason, I wouldn't buy the tickets ahead of time for your trip from Rome to Naples. Even if you buy full-price tickets, there is only one hour of leeway for exchanging the tickets for a later train, and flights are sometimes delayed for more than an hour. At the airport train station, there is a travel agent right across from the ticket window who will sell you tickets for the train into Termini and also for the train to Naples. That will save you having to buy the tickets at Termini station, which is often a bit chaotic. (The ticket window at the airport train station now sells tickets only as far as Rome.)

I want to warn you that you need to be careful with dates. In Europe, 6/5 is May 6th. I don't know where you're from, so I don't know if that's what you meant or if you meant June 5th.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

bvlenci - Thank you. Regarding dates, I meant June 5th and I have encountered the European format of day/month - so I am watching that carefully.

The information about the train from the airport train station to to Termini and then to Naples is very helpful.

Regarding your comment about the train being the best way to get from Naples to Venice... what about flying? Our time in Italy is limited and it appears I can get a reasonably priced flight from Naples to Venice on EasyJet.

Regarding EasyJet... I did also post a question on the forum about them and having never heard of them and concerned about how low the fare was, I was concerned. The response from the forum members was pretty much... they are a low cost carrier and pay attention to the fare/fees but they are reliable.

Thanks again -
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Non-stop train from Rome to Naples is great.
It's SO easy to transfer to the Circumvesuviana in the station (1 flight of stairs) that it trumps the more scenic ferry. Save the ferry ride for the Amalfi Coast (prettier).

If you have a lot of baggage, consider a car transfer from FCO to Termini station.

Second the suggestion to wait & buy tickets on-site if its a day you're flying.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 11:52 AM

I fly easy jet at least once a year and they are very reliable. Their website makes it clear the extras you need to pay for (checked bags, seat selection, speedy boarding, etc.).

However, the flight is about 1 and a half hours, you need to get to the airport 2 hours ahead of time, there is at least an hour to get to the airport before the flight and from the airport after the flight so total time will be about five and a half hours which is about the same as the train. Train goes city center to city center and you don't have to worry about how much your luggage weights, delays, etc. Once you add in the cost of getting to/from the airports from city centers, and any extras you buy (like checked luggage) the cost difference will be minimal. So I would take the train.

Agree with the idea to take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and save the ferry ride for the Amalfi Coast.

I don't see why a car would be any easier to get from FCO than the train. It goes right to the station which is where you want to be and there is plenty of room for luggage on the train. And probably faster than a car which would have to deal with traffic. It could take twice as long as the train.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 12:03 PM

There is no non-stop train Naples to Venice but there are direct trains so no changing in Rome - and as others say trains could all told be quicker as flying - anyway for lots of info on Italian trains check www.seat61.com - great advice on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

And always check first class as well as 2nd cl for discounted tickets- sometimes first can be nearly as cheap as 2nd and for a long train ride first class is a bit more relaxed and roomy.(2nd class is perfectly good just first gooder).

I agree with CircumVesuviana being easier and quicker than ferry Naples to Sorrento because they run all the time and the ferry dock is a ways away from the train station you arrive at in Naples and service is much more limited.
Old Mar 6th, 2017, 01:30 PM

BTW Last I knew CircumVeusviana tickets can only be bought once at its separate Naples' station (adjacent to Naples Centrale station and connected by walkways) - can't book a thru Rome to Sorrento ticket but only to Naples-unless recently changed.
Old Mar 7th, 2017, 11:33 AM

Train goes city center to city center and you don't have to worry about how much your luggage weights, delays, etc>

Venice Airport can take especially long to get to Venice -even by boat as you have to walk a fair amount and boats are expensive. Buses take a long time too but are dirt-cheap.