Sicily without a car!

Feb 25th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Sicily without a car!

We are thinking of Sicily for March 2008. We would go for 2-3 weeks. Most of the posters rent a car, but we do not want to do that!

If we do 3 weeks, we would stay in 3 hotels, one each week, probably.

We could use some good advice on how to plan this trip so that we could take day tours (either organized or by public transportation) from the three main areas.

Help!!!!
Feb 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM

There are certainly tours available by bus and most likely you could hire a private tour guide that would drive you to some of the sites. We were there for 2 weeks and the only time we did not have a car was when we were in Palermo and in the Aoelian Islands. There are lots of interesting spots that you can see if you have your own vehicle and the main highway is very good.
Feb 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM

Hi BL: We spent two weeks in Sicily without a car. I would like to paste a url for you to click and read my Sicily trip report, but I can't do that with my Mac.

Instead, if you go to the top of the page and type in the "search" bar,

Two weeks in Sicily-A trip report

you'll see my TR listed. The date will read 2005, but you may find some of the info still useful.

Have fun!
Feb 25th, 2007, 12:54 PM

I did 2 weeks in Sicily without a car. I stayed a week in Palermo, looked around the city, and took trips to Monreale, Agrigento, Cefalu by train. Then went by train to Catania. Did bus trips from there to Siracusa, Noto and Ragusa. Finally had time in Taormina on the beach, around Etna. Back by train via Messina. There may have been sights I missed but you can't do everything!
Feb 26th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for your helpful suggestions.

Any more?
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Did pretty much the same thing as Gertie--I will say we found organized day trips from Palermo to be hard to find and the local tourist information places less than helpful. OUr hotel helped us with trains to Cefalu and busses to Siracusa.

If I did it again , I would rent a car.