Scicily

Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Scicily

We are planning a trip to Scicily. We know we want to try the good food. We would like to have a dinner in someone's home. We would like to do some sightseeing but not necessarily a tour. We are also looking forward to some wine tasting. Does anyone have suggestions? Also how easy is it to travel by train? Is it possible to rent a car and travel by train? What are some must dos. Are there any musical or art events or restaurants we should definitely include? If a tour is a good way to go what are some good tours?
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 09:27 AM

Sicily or Scicli? Scicli is in Ragusa province in Sicily.

We rented a car when we visited Sicily, but many here have traversed the island using public transportation.

I suggest you get a good guidebook and also do a search here for Sicily trip reports. I used the Michelin Green Guide for Sicily--very helpful.

Sicily might be my best-ever trip to Italy! Happy planning!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM

Click on my name to find my trip report that may help.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM

On one of our trips to Sicily, we stayed at a lovely agriturismo which produces award winning wines and also serves lunch and dinner by reservation: http://www.murgo.it/ It's south of Taormina and north of Catania. We had a rental car during that part of the trip and toured around Mt. Etna. The nearby town of Santa Venerina has a few good restaurants, too.

There is so much to see and do that you will need to make choices.

Train service in Sicily historically hasn't been as good as on the "mainland" but I understand it is improving. Bus service is generally excellent.

On our first trip to Sicily, we took a bus from the Catania airport to Ortigia and thoroughly enjoyed being based there. We used a bus to visit Noto from there and took a train one day to Scicli.

On our most recent trip to Sicily, for Easter 2011, we flew into Palermo, rented a car there and drove to Petralia Sottana, a beautiful village, and stayed there two nights. Driving on the outskirts of Palermo was not difficult although I understand that driving in the city limits can be harrowing and I wouldn't try it. Then we drove to Cefalu, through stunning countryside, turned in the rental car, and stayed in that charming seaside town for two nights. We took the train from Cefalu to Palermo where we rented an apartment for a week. We flew back to Rome from Palermo. Specifically, we took a cab to the train station, where we caught a shuttle bus to the airport, and then boarded our flight to Rome.

So, there are many transportation options in Sicily and we often mix and match!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM

You might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.