Reload this Page >

Sicily - weather

Search

Sicily - weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 06:52 AM
fran

Sicily - weather

We will be traveling to Sicily in the latter <BR>part o October 2001. What is the weather at <BR>that time of year?

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Simon

the weather in Sicily is very similar to that in Malta where I live, though slightly cooler. <BR> <BR>Basically in the second half of October it tends to be warm (I still wear short sleeves and polo shirts...no jackets except at night). The rain season may have just started, you may get a not so often strong thundery storm, but more often it is fine with no rain. There is no ice or snow. <BR> <BR>It may be even nicer in the 2nd and 3rd week of November, when we get 'St Martin's Summer', some really nice summer weather associated with the feast of St Martin.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 04:40 PM
cmt

It may depend upon WHERE in Sicily you're going. I was surprised how cool it was in the Nebrodi Mts. (N/NE part of island, very green) in May -- much cooler than the other places I'd visited on the trip, while the Ragusa area was hotter than I expected. Mt. Etna, oviously, will be very cold. You may find it helpful, or at least interesting, to read On Persephone's Island by Marie Taylor Simeti. You will get a feel for the seasons in Sicily, at least in the NW part of the island. <BR>I'll be interested in the answers you get, because I've been wondering how September would be for a trip to Sicily.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:47 PM
Simon

cmt: <BR> <BR>September is not the best of months to visit. It is hot, and in the south will be very sticky due to winds blowing up from North Africa. September is the worst month in my calender actually. I can only recommend you beware. <BR> <BR>You mentioned NE a lot, which is somewhat cooler, generally 1C less then Malta. But the nicest places to visit are in the Catania area , namely Mt Etna and Taormina. No trip to Sicily is complete without a stay there.

Old Jan 6th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Simon again

Sorry: read NW instead of NE

Old Jan 7th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Joanna

I was there in late September/early October 1996 for two weeks. The weather ranged from dull and rainy to extremely hot. In fact, our first day in Palermo was the last day of a heat wave. The western part of the island was cooler than the east, but then the weather was a little dull that first week with overcast skies, no rain to speak of, but a bit humid. It was pleasant travelling weather however and the centre of the country was very pleasant with sunny days and cool nights. Taormina, Messina and the Aeolian Islands were quite warm - we managed a swim at Vulcano (and a session in the mud baths!). Etna, as mentioned above, is obviously very cold at the various stations - and windy! Erice on the western side of the island was also quite cold, though it is a hill town much higher than the surrounding country. Sicily is one (of many) places I would love to return to and remember very fondly.