Search

Sicily Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Art

Sicily Trip

Travlers to Sicily, I'd would like to hear any contributions about your trip that may be helpful for my upcoming trip. <BR><BR>Any helful hints would be appreciated for trains, buses, hotels,places of interest etc.<BR><BR>We are planning a one month trip therefore any tips on good value hotels, anywhere in Sicily would be very helpful.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Ang

I am also planning a trip, and have found 2 really reasonably priced places-one in Sciacca, where you can do day trips to Agrigento, Selinunte, and one in Taormina. I haven't been to either one yet, so I cannot vouch but have heard good things.<BR><BR>The first is a place in Sciacca called &quot;Verdetecnica.&quot; The owners actually advertise all over the board, but through communicating with other fodorites I have been told it's a nice place. I will be renting an apartment for 50 Euros per night. http://www.verdetecnica.com<BR><BR>In Taormina I will be staying at Casa Grazia, also 50 Euros per night. It was recommended in Frommer's Budget Guide, the only web reference I can find right now is <BR> http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187892-d261185-Reviews-Casa_Grazia-Taormina_Sicily.html<BR><BR>I will be going in late March, early April so if you are not booking before then I will write a review when I get back!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:36 PM
Ben

Casa Grazia is a terrible place to stay. Dirty floors, towels that looked like were used by other guests without being washed for weeks. Beds are so soft that thare is no way you could sleep at night. Our next door neighbor we think had new guests every a few hours and the walls are very thin. We left after one night.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Ang

Why is Casa Grazia recommended in Frommer's Budget guide then? Are their recommendations usually unreliable?

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Jen

Ang, I'm not Ben but I can tell you that sometimes what that magazine recommends is not reliable. <BR>The same goes for the National Geographic Traveler. You need to do more extensive research than relying on one recommendation. I learn this a hard way. Good luck to you

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Peggy

In September my family stayed at the Villa Schuler right off the Corso Umberto. It was lovely, great breakfasts included and they are opening up their brand new &quot;Lift&quot; in March.This addition will make this hotel even better. Also found it in K Brown and several guides. We enjoyed the location near to all good restaurants (highly recommend Giardino), it boasts beautiful gardens right in the back of the property. Pretty views from the terrace where breakfast may be had. The owners can be gruff and the breakfast staff was friendly on alternate days! But we have come to accept this attitude on the part of some. We would definitely go back. Don't miss going to Savoca just north of Taormina. Lots of fun if you are a Godfather fan. Many in my group are and we visited the &quot;Bar Vitelli&quot; there where Michael says &quot;I want to meet your daughter&quot;, Stay away from Messina if possible. THE WORST TRAFFIC AND DRIVING in our travels. (we did not go to Palermo)

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Peggy

Forgot to say that the Villa Schuler is in Taormina, we paid about 110 for a nice double. If you can afford it stay at one of the upper rooms with the big balconies (14)

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Ben

You have to make your own decision Ang. It did not work for us but maybe you will like it. If you don't mind dirt and a hooker next door then go for it. Hopefully they replaced those old ugly towels and got rid off this woman who stayed there<BR><BR>I did not answer because your question was &quot;Why is Casa Grazia recommended in Frommer's Budget guide then? Are their recommendations usually unreliable?&quot;<BR>I don't know the answers to your questions but, IMHO, I know that they made a mistake recommending Casa Grazia. I too heard that the Villa Schuler is an excellent place to stay. Good luck and have a fun in Taormina. It is a beautiful place and so much history<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Ang

Ben,<BR><BR>I really appreciate your honesty. I was just a bit put off because of the way your post was, and not offering an alternate accomodation. I thought maybe you were a &quot;troll.&quot; I will re-consider Casa Grazia, and am actually thinking of La Pensione Svizzera. I guess I was just trying too hard to find a really cheap, decent accomodation in Taormina.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:06 PM
nancy

Ang, you asked why this was recommended in Frommer's if it was so bad but I experienced the same thing with a recommendation in England from Rick Steves' guidebook. In almost all cases I have had good luck with Steves' books except in Bath, England. Should have known better but relied on the recommendation. The B&amp;B in Bath was located around the corner from the Baths and a perfect location and the price was right! $36 for a double (RS discount); however, the shared bathroom was disgusting, beds were awful, towels were more like sheets. To top it off, the owner said &quot;oh, yes, RS (or his rep) visit every year and just ask if anything has changed! Didn't even look over the place. We were planning on staying 2 nights but slipped our payment under the kitchen door early a.m and left. So, check out travel guide info but try to ask questions here. Hopefully, some have stayed in the recommended places. As an aside, a friend liked the Frommer's hotel recommendations in Italy better than Rick Steves.