Search

Sicily solo?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily solo?

Been here in Italy 9 months and am leaving July 9th for a few months back to the states ( pretty bummed about it) and want to get to some places haven't been yet. Sicily is at the top of the list. Not sure if it's a pre-conceived notion, something I've heard somewhere but anyone know if it's safe for a woman to go alone and if so ay suggestions about which place in Sicily. thanks in advance
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM

I've been to Sicily six times as a woman alone and have never had problems. In Palermo, you have to exercise caution. Catania is not a very tourist-friendly place nor is Messina, but they also don't offer a great deal for the tourist. Siracusa and the Baroque towns in the southeast are almost as safe as the proverbial houses. The islands (Aeolian and Egadi) are safe. In fact, with the possible exception of Catania and Messina, all of Sicily is safe.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Zerlina, so is you had 4 days as a first timer where would you suggest?
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I agree with Zerlina. I love wandering around Sicily solo. Just use regular traveling common sense , such as use money belt, stay away from deserted areas, keep your eyes open and you'll be fine. You'll love Sicily.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM

I'm partial to Siracusa and the southeast. You can easily fill four days there. Fly into Catania, take a bus to Siracusa. There are buses to and from Noto, Ragusa and Modica from Siracusa. Buses are comfortable, fast, cheap and preferable to trains.

For buses from Aeroporto Catania to Siracusa and from Siracusa to Noto, schedules are at www.interbus.it. For Modica and Ragusa, at www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM

"To have seen Italy without having seen Sicily is not to have seen Italy at all, for Sicily is the clue to everything." -- Goethe

Sicily, as a whole, is probably as safe as the mainland and safer than many places in the United States. Catania and Palermo are both large cities and are grubbier than some of the smaller towns. My favorite place in Sicily, and one of my favorites in all of Europe is Taormina, which is safe as well as beautiful, but there are other great places to visit in Sicily, as well.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I started to go last fall and found some great flight prices from Pisa to Trapani on Ryan Air. There were sale prices on the overnight ferries too.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys, am looking into all options, want to get there and Ischia before July.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi laartista - sorry you're getting dragged back to the States. Sicily is a great destination - I loved Ortigia, on the east coast, and Trapani and Erice on the west. You might find my TR useful - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-sicily.cfm?62