Search

Sicily - Planning a trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily - Planning a trip

Hi
Never been to Sicily we are looking for a cheapish holiday in a quiet villa near the sea for my husband and i ( late 40's so no loud nightlife). Originally we were lookng at San Vito Lo Capo but friends have mentioned Ortiga and Taormina so now confused, any suggestions on location , we like art and culture and historic sites and nature or accomodation. We are both vegetarians so looking for self catering

Also, I normally hire a car but looking at these boards not necesary if in Ortigia, but how practical is it to get from Catania airport to Ortigia and how good is public transport?

Thanks for all your help - in anticipation
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM

Ortigia is the original site of Siracusa which grew on the mainland around it. There is plenty of culture in the city, but it might be difficult to find a quiet villa on the island. We stayed about 20 minutes from Siracusa in an agriturismo that also had a restaurant. No villa, but individual units rather than rooms in one house. You would need a car. You may be interested in my trip report from last spring. Click on my name to find it.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM

percy- I have good luck with holiday-rentals.com. Check it out. Get a car.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM

Taormina is usually quite touristy and expensive, and I agree with Michael's assessment of finding a quiet villa within Ortygia.

I'll toss this out (not having stayed there) as a cheap organic agriturismo serving vegetarian dinners to its guests on the slopes of Etna but near the sea, and within day trip distance of both Taormina and Siracusa. It can be nice to have the Sicilians cook for you, and they have plenty of vegetarian dishes

http://www.cirasellaetna.it/index-eng.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...io_Sicily.html

If you absolutely want the sea, you might also look for a villa near or in Riposto, which would put you in a good position to day trip to Taormina, Siracusa and other points of cultural interest.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM

PS: I echo the advice to rent a car.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help