Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Sicily for five days what area is better?

Sicily for five days what area is better?

Jun 18th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Sicily for five days what area is better?

We will be traveling from North Italy to Sicily. I would like to go to Taormina, but I would like to know which area is more interesting.
Jun 18th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Well that's an opinion question. I personally found all of Sicily interesting but I don't know what your interests are. Since you mention Taormina then probably you should go there. It certainly is at least as beautiful as anywhere else in Sicily. Very touristy though, but for good reason. If you have five days you could also visit Siracusa which I really found interesting. My technique for deciding where to go in any given region is to look at photos and see what "grabs" me. Do a google image search on "Sicily" or "Taormina". If you want you can start with my photos of my trip to Sicily which are at: www.pbase.com/annforcier/sicily_2005
Jun 19th, 2007, 03:28 AM

When we visited Sicily and toured around from Palermo to the west via Erice and south to Agrigento, then to Siracusa and Cefalu and back to Palermo. You can see my trip report at http://meglio.blogspot.com
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:01 AM

How much time will you spend in Sicily? We are planning to go in October this year and we fear that 2 weeks will not be enough...
Taormina is rather posh, a bit like the Sicilian counterpart of Nice or Cannes. Would you plan to go up the Etna? What are your interests?
Jun 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

Wow Isabel, your photos are beautiful. I have a better idea now. I liked the idea of Taormina because of it's beauty, but I am looking for a cultural trip.
I think we will be going to Palermo and tour around that area.
I prefer archeology and architecture rather than nature alone.
Jun 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM

Well, if everybody's posting pictures, I'll post mine too!

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/f431981631/

The different regions of Sicily are quite different in architecture. The west and northwest side, you get Norman/Arab influence. The southeast, you have Baroque. And throughout, you get Greek and Roman ruins.

Personally, I like the southeast the best - Siracusa and the baroque towns around it. Taormina is definitely gorgeous, but it's not that much different than many other beautiful places on Italy's mainland.
Jun 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan. Great Photos, titles and comments!
Jul 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Thank you for posting your beautiful pictures--We travel to Sicily in Sept and your report is very helpful!
Jul 9th, 2007, 07:33 AM

I suggest you to see these attractions:

- Etna excursions
- Little town of Nicolosi
- Catania
- Castel mola
- Giardini naxos
- Francavilla di Sicilia and the Alcantar gorges

Best regards
Enrico
http://www.volcanoetna.com
Jul 9th, 2007, 09:07 AM

we went to sicily last month really great!!!!The valley of the temples at Agrigento were fantastic.By the way if you decide to sleep at agrigento i recomend a small family run hotel villa holiday nice and economic look here http://www.villaholidayagrigento.com
Hope to go back again to sicily love it.

Search this Thread