Sicily and Malta star attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning to visit Sicily and Malta this December for about 8 days(4 days on each island). We like historic sites as well as beautiful scenery. Would also like recommendations for the best 4 or 5 star hotels.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 03:28 AM

For Malta, probably the most historic and interesting is the Hypogeum, an underground temple. You must book ahead as there are a limited number of tickets per day.

I wouldn't consider the scenery on Malta to be at all beautiful as there is very little vegetation; Malta is normally dry with no water supply other than rain water or desalinated sea water.

I would stay in Valletta for easy access to buses to other towns.

You won't be able to see much on Sicily in 4 days. Perhaps if you state what town you plan to visit on Sicily you will get hotel recommendations. There's no point asking for recommendations and getting them for a town you won't be visiting (unless your trip is based solely on where a hotel is located). More information from the OP, rather than scanty information, is most helpful.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Two recent threads about Malta that you may find useful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-100-best.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...bout-malta.cfm
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 07:53 AM

You might want to read my trip report on Sicily. Just click on my name. Bob the Navigator also had a very good report that was a mine of information.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM

I stayed at the San Dominica Palace Hotel in Taormina, Sicily. It is a beautiful hotel with wonderful views of the sea. There is an ancient Greek Theater within walking distance - it's astonishing. From both the theater and the hotel there are views of Mt Etna when it's not clouded over. Remarkable place!
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Wow you like history you are about to find something fascinating in Malta. There is a church that was bombed during world war 2 during mass where the bomb didn't explode and it also happens to have 3rd largest unsupported dome in the world. What you really have to see in malta is hyogeum. I went when I lived in Sicily incredible. Its the only underground prehistoric temple in the world and you have to plan early because they only allow 80 ppl inside a day. And for Sicily, wow.. that going to be terribly tough to tell you, ive been throughout the entire island if you can tell me a little more detail what your interested in i can give you a better idea where to do

-marcello
http://www.wanderingtrader.com