Shuttle service. LHR to Plymouth?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Years ago we used a service called Mystic Taxi Service from Heathrow to Portsmouth. I have googled it & cannot find it.
In June we fly into Heathrow & need to get to Plymouth. Does anyone know of a service that will take you there.
Thanks in advance
Chris
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 04:45 PM

I don't fly into LHR very often, but there is a bus station in LHR, which maybe have buses going to Plymouth, although it will take a good amount of time. There are always trains from central London, but I don't know which station they will go from.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 06:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Years ago we used a service called Mystic Taxi Service<<

​​​​​​​Are you sure it wasn't Majestic?

Taxi From Heathrow To Portsmouth Price From £105 | Book Online Now

Trains and buses would require changes. You could take a bus to Woking and train to Portsmouth.

But - assuming you are catching a cruise out of Portsmouth, doesn't the cruise line offer transfers?
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 08:35 PM

Sorry -- I read your title and started to post about Plymouth -- then saw Portsmouth in the text and changed my whole post.

Ignore what I wrote above -- except for the car service bit -- the same one serves both towns from LHR. Taxi From Heathrow To Plymouth ? Heathrow Taxi To Plymouth, Transport From Heathrow To Plymouth, Airport Transfers To Plymouth Taxi

Re train -- you'd go into Paddington and then train to Plymouth.

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: train. No, you'd take the rail-air bus to Reading Station and the train from there. Or there are a few direct National Express coaches from Terminals 2 and 3.

https://www.heathrow.com/transport-a..._air-bus-links

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 10:11 PM

Re Majestic, the website doesn't quote a physical address and it's registered in India. Both are red flags to me. In any case if I wanted to be driven to Plymouth I would use a Plymouth based company on the grounds that they would know where Plymouth is without relying on a Sat Nav.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 06:52 AM

>>any case if I wanted to be driven to Plymouth I would use a Plymouth based company<<

I would as well -- I linked Majestic mostly because the company name is semi-similar to Mystic. (I have heard of though never used Majestic, had not heard of Mystic)

Re train from Paddington or Reading -- 6 of 1 / half dozen of the other. Both have about the same schlepp factor. Bus to train or train to train.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 09:37 AM

For others reading who may not want to pay a lot for a personal transfer - the air bus to Reading and trains are not that hard though harder but trains can be much cheaper if you book at National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables yourself to get discounted tickets- check www.seat61.com for more on that; general train info like 1st v 2nd class - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 08:17 AM

Doesn't Plymouth have an airport you could fly to from Heathrow?
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Doesn't Plymouth have an airport you could fly to from Heathrow?
No - Exeter is 50 miles away.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone. After I posted I did realize the service was Majestic. When I E-mailed our friends in Plymouth he said price Way too high. Now they are picking us up at airport & we are going from there to Brugge & on to France. We will spend out last week in Plymouth & he said there are busses that go direct to Heathrow.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 07:46 AM

For anyone else doing this trip......
Plymouth is much further from London than.Portsmouth. 200 miles as opposed to about 60.
Thre is no direct train service...you'll have to go back into London
There are buses.....
However by far the most convenient way and cheaper than the trains, is to hire a car at Heathrow and drive it one way on a 24 hour rental to Plymouth.
I've always used Europecar but any of the companies at H/R will do this.
All you have to do then is get your bags to the free shuttle bus to the car hire office...about 10 minutes - and pick up a car
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 07:57 AM

Sorry but that is lousy advice. You think it is a good idea to drive 200 miles after an over night flight?
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For heaven's sake, khunwilko, I usually agree with you but as janisj said that is terrible advice. Driving with jet lag or lack of sleep is as bad as driving drunk. Please do not suggest it again.

And, as I already pointed out, you do not have to go back to London to take the train, you can take the rail-air bus to Reading for the train or a direct coach from LHR.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 11:06 PM

I absolutely stand by the idea of driving.
I would assume that no-one would attempt it drunk and in fact if you sleep or whatever jet-lag is only manifests itself if you are tired.
Jetlag is also dependent on where you have just come from.
I also assume that people are aware of their ability to drive or not as the case may be.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 06:04 AM

That is sooooo wrong. One often does NOT know how impaired they are, and micro-sleeps are a huge problem when you have jet lag. It only takes a second on the wrong side of the road to kill you and others.

​​​​​​​
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 07:16 AM

Believing one is okay to drive after a long flight is a bit like those who have a drink and think they’re still capable of driving when all tests have shown only one drink can impair your ability. You don’t have to be drunk. The idea that one thinks they’re fine to drive after a flight is not one they can accurately determine. Just because one feels fine doesn’t mean one is.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 07:41 AM

A private transfer all the way to plymouth is only just behind renting a private jet in the cost stakes! ;0)

Just go to www.virgintrains.co.uk and book Heathrow Airport to Plymouth (don't use gwr.com as that site doesn't accept non-UK credit cards, Virgin does, and of course all operators sell all tickets, you can buy any train journey on any operator at any operator's site).

You will see cheaper options with a change at Hayes & Reading, and more expensive routes with 1 change at London Paddington.

If you book ahead you'll see cheap Advance fares, but remember if you miss the train your ticket is worthless so build in a buffer, assume your flight is an hour late for starters!

This train ride takes you along the scenic route through Dawlish, you want seats on the left hand side for the best sea views. It's a classic stretch of line, a treat! Shuttle service. LHR to Plymouth?-8284183_orig.jpg