Should we visit Domus Aurea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're heading to Rome in a week and have heard Domus Aurea is a unique treasure worthy of a visit. Checking a couple of Web sites about entry, I've come across warnings about the difficulty of the visit, including a notice that one must climb scaffolding. We are fit 60-somethings but scaffolding is not exactly my cup of tea. Can anyone help with their experience and advice? Thank you.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM

We went a few years ago and there was no climbing required. As for the visit, it's worth it to see just how well some lived back then. We also had no problem getting in nor long lines.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 06:34 AM
RJD

Visited Domus Aurea a few years a go soon after it reopened. It's a fascinating site, mysterious, grand and filed with history. The architecture alone was worth it. We went on a guided tour and there was no scaffolding we had to climb. Make sure you sign up for the tour in English.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM

We visited the Domus Aurea in April 2006. It was well worth the visit. We did have to climb scaffolding at one point to get a close-up view of the ceiling. It was not difficult just like climbing a set of metal stairs. My 70 year old father had no trouble at all.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM

If you have the chance do visit it. It is absolutely fascinating and IMO the number one attraction of Rome.

Absolutely no problem with walking inside. We did it with my 70+ parents after a much more strenous visit of the Collosseum.

I also recommend Hadrian's Palace in Tivoli.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your responses. Based on your experiences, I just booked an English tour of Domus Aurea. We will do Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este as a day trip.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Do be careful who you believe about the Domus Aurea.

The listing for it on this site seems to be wrong. The Soprintendenza site (the national body responsible for the care of the Domus) outsources booking to pierreci. Both say the Domus is open Tues-Fri: €4.50 +€1.50 booking fee. And pierreci is currently selling tickets for Tues-Fri only.

Fodors claims it's open Wed-Mon, and quotes different prices. Other sites offer even wilder prices

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM
RJD

A day tour of Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa is a great idea. If you have a choice of how much time you can spend at either place, I suggest more time at Hadrian's place. It's vast and inspired much of Renaissance architecture.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I do not know if it has changed since last Christmas, but at that time the only tours for the Domus were 20 minute guided deals by one of the archaeologists or a student. It was pretty cheap though.

My step-daughter and her family went on it and enjoyed it.

It may have changed in the past year, so be aware.

FlannerUK's post directs you to the authority on the site, as they are in charge of it.