Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we travel on Night Train or Fly on Air Lib Express?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:06 PM
javawater

We've been reading this forum to plan our first European trip. What a a great resource it has been! The trip is going to be 2 weeks in France and Italy around March/April 2003. The first 3 nights will be in Paris, then onward to Florence - Venice - Milan (Lake Como), with the remaining 2 nights in Paris. <BR><BR>We were planning to take the Night Train to and from Italy so we can free up some day time. But now we found out about the low air fares via Air Lib Express.<BR><BR>Should we spend $239/person for the Rail Pass, plus supplements for the Night Trains? Or should we use Air Lib Express, with fares as low as $29 a ticket?<BR><BR>How much time should we allocate for the coming and going plus waiting at the train station? How about with the airports (ORLY, PISA, and MILAN)? The flight will only take 80 minutes.<BR><BR>Also, has anyone purchase Night Train tickets(not part of the Rail Pass) from U.S.?<BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Michelle

I would fly. I hate the overnight train and think it is miserable, since I don't sleep well at all. My next arrival day is a waste because I am so tired. My husband, who sleeps great on planes and trains, thinks its fine.<BR><BR>If you do take the train, you may be better off with point to point tickets.<BR><BR>Have a good trip.<BR>Michelle

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 09:42 PM
jahoulih

I sleep fine on trains, so I'd go with the trains. I agree with Michelle that you'd be better off with point-to-point tickets. I got www.sncf.com (French Rail) to quote me a price of 291.40 Euros for two people round trip from Paris to Italy in a two-person sleeper. Bear in mind that this would save you the cost of two nights in hotels plus transportation to and from airports. <BR><BR>You can order the tickets on line at www.sncf.com and then pick them up at the train station in Paris. There's no particular need to get to the train station more than 15 minutes or so before your train is leaving, unless you need to buy or pick up your tickets, in which case you might give it half an hour.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Rex

I would fly. I still cannot imagine the appeal of sleeping in a rail car instead of a real hotel room, with a real bathroom, and the option to go out for a walk when you get up, or stay in bed until noon if you prefer.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Ben Haines

The website for Air Liberte presently offers fares for Venice at 76 to 91 euros one way. This greatly undercuts trains at 143 euros one way second class, plus such supplements as 45 euros for a berth in a 3 berth sleeper, total 188 euros. If you sleep well on trains the sleeper is the better buy, since it cuts a hotel bill and gives you a full day (but not evening) in Paris and a full day in Venice. But if you are not sure how you will sleep you will do better on the plane.<BR><BR>If you choose plane and Air Liberte offers an open jaw ticket you will want that. If not, you might take a return air ticket to Milan, move around Italy by train, and take a train back from Florence to get you to your northbound flight from Milan.<BR><BR>Thank you for your note: I knew of the domestic flights of Air Liberte, but not of these useful planes to and from Italy. All rather sad: if this trend towards no-frills goes on we could see overnight rail services collapse, and not only on these routes.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>