Should we make reservations?

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 10:16 AM
Michele

Should we make reservations?

For a six week trip(late April to mid-June) throughout Europe do you recommend making hotel reservations or is it best to wait until arrival in each city?

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 10:44 AM
Louis

We always make reservations for our first arrival night in Europe as a minimum. Beyond that, unless there were particular hotels or locations where you wished to stay, I would take my chances. Often it is wise to phone ahead the prior day before moving to a new location. If you know of a major event occuring in the area, then reservations are important. It is also wise to know where you plan to stay by noon each day or by 3pm at the latest. If you find that the first place you stop is booked, they will often call around and find a place for you.

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 11:15 AM
jeanne

I think Louis gave good advice-during that time of year you shouldn't have much trouble-and if you are the type of person who likes more "open" travel plans-you should enjoy it that way. The only thing I might add would be to research in advance-if you are on a budget-research the budget hotels in an area, etc. That way, you will at least have a list of areas in a city that you might want to stay, etc. I think in the big cities at least you will find this helpful and it is so easy between forums like this and tourist web sites now!

Have fun!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 10:11 AM
Cheryl Z.

if you don't have res. when you first arrive in a place, go to the Tourist Office, either in town center or the train station. They've always been of great assistance to us, and can often get a cheaper rate. The time frame you're going is not the busy season so you shouldn't have too many problems. We often go in May, and just wing it. And if the TO is successfull in getting us a decent place with a decent rate, we tip him well.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 10:12 AM
Cheryl Z.

if you don't have res. when you first arrive in a place, go to the Tourist Office, either in town center or the train station. They've always been of great assistance to us, and can often get a cheaper rate. The time frame you're going is not the busy season so you shouldn't have too many problems. We often go in May, and just wing it. And if the TO is successfull in getting us a decent place with a decent rate, we tip him well.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 02:25 PM
greg

I agree with the previous postings if your party consists no more than 2 people. Beyond that, it gets progressively harder to find a place.