vat tax

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 02:09 PM
stuart

vat tax

I was recently in rome & was not able to get my vat tax because I had packed my purchase in my suitcase & was not able to show it to the customs office, am I now out of luck or can I receive the vat tax after I am home. I have all the paperwork and receipts that the store gave me.Can any help me?

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 07:27 PM
Nancy

Stuart,

When I came from London I did not pack the purchases I wanted to apply for the VAT rebate on. Instead we had to have our forms stamped at Gatewick and I believe they looked at the items. Don't know if that's the way it always works.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 06:25 AM
Doug

Try the following web site -

http://www.globalrefund.com

I haven't used it yet, but I plan to try it after i come back from Germany next month. I hope it's easier than trying to get A VAT refund at the airport. they sure don't make it convenient!

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 01:26 PM
wes fowler

Stuart,
A letter to the editor of the N Y Times Sunday Travel section on November 15 posed much the same question and the satisfactory answer. Writer failed to have VAT refund papers stamped for purchases made in Belgium. Upon her return home she wrote to the Belgian Ministry of Finance, enclosed forms, receipts and photos of items purchased. She received a full refund within ten days. You might want to contact the Italian Ministry of Finance and try the same if the globalrefund website doesn't help. You should be able to get the Ministry's address from the Italian Tourist Office.

Old Nov 16th, 1998, 02:31 PM
caryn

I don't know much about this but this summer in Spain, they had advertisements for getting back your vat tax all over the place. When I read the fine print on the brochure it specified that you must spend at least $100 in one place. While for many this is not a problem. My purchases did not exceed more than about $20 at any one time. My tight budget does not allow me frivolous shopping. I just spend a lot of time convincing myself I don't need something. For example, I really wanted some castanets and a silly little flamenco doll. I knew that these items would just go in a drawer when I got home so I convinced myself not to buy them. So now I have that much extra money for my next trip! Watch your pennies and the dollars take care of themselves. Sorry for the tangent I have taken...