Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should we fly or overnight train from Paris to Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:54 PM
vs

As part of a two week trip in Europe we are trying to decide if we should fly from Paris to Barcelona or take an overnight train. I spent a lot of time on trains in Europe 20 years ago but havent been since. Advice?

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Rex

Personal choice, but I would look into spending a day or teo in Belgium, and then fly BRU-BCN on www.virgin-express.com - - or look into Air Liberte - - perhaps to fly to Perpignan - - and then train from there?<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Shannon

We did the reverse 2 years ago by train. We took the Trenhotel Talgo from Barcelona to Paris and it was WONDERFUL. 2 compartments -- one for the kids and one for ourselves. It includes continental breakfast in the dining car. It left Barcelona at 8 p.m. and arrived at Paris Austerlitz just after 8:00 a.m. the next morning.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:01 AM
xxx

Shannon - I am thinking about doing the same overnight train from Barcelona to Paris. Do you know the website for Trenhotel? What is the approximate fare for two adults? <BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:41 AM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Andre

http://www.renfe.es/ingles/viajes/pr....html#-Opcion1

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:17 AM
jan

We like the trains in Europe, but decided to fly this route last time and were glad that we did, since we got to spend more time in Spain. We did drive back to Paris, though, end enjoyed it. We went across Spain to Basque country, then up through the Loire. Have fun!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Shannon

Andre's post is good for the line and what it offers. I seem to recall the cost ran around $75 per person, but this is booking the reservation in the U.S.. The booking goes through DER (who also handle Eurail passes), but they only work with travel agents, so you know someone is getting a commission somewhere.<BR><BR>Since most travel agents are not terribly familiar with European overnight rail travel, you need to give them very clear information. On that particular trip, the agent screwed up the overnight train from Madrid to Barcelona, leaving my husband and I in a first class compartment and our kids in second class. I called DER directly to change it, and the person seemed a bit put out that he was talking to a non-agent, but went ahead and made the change. The long and short is, even after you make the reservation, check the reservation slips CAREFULLY!<BR>Shannon

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Jerry

Jan,<BR>How could you spend more time in Spain by flying over an overnite train?<BR>The trains arrive early a.m. Do planes arrive earlier a.m.? If so, you must have left before dawn.